Chapter 19

(Y/N) POV

It was a cold, dreary day with gray skies and wet weather. (Y/N) held an umbrella over her head to protect her from the light rain. She was waiting for Tooru outside like every Monday so they could walk to Lil'Tykes.

Her phone buzzed and she looked down to see a text from Oikawa, she sighed, noticing that he had changed his contact in her phone again.

love of my life and best volleyball player in the world: sorry! i'm feeling a bit under the weather and left early, could you let ukai-san know that i won't be able to help out today.

(Y/N): do you need me to come over? are you okay?

She quickly changed his name back to what it was originally.

Trashykawa: no, no i'm fine! plus, don't want you to get sick as well. also, takeru is hanging out with a friend today so no need to pick him up. 

(Y/N): okay, feel better.

Trashykawa: aww i knew you cared deep down in your frozen heart.

(Y/N): 🖕

(Y/N): row row row your boat

Trashykawa: gently down the stream 

(Y/N): gently off a cliff. i hope you break your neck and die. you will not be missed. 🥰

Trashykawa: *gulp* hAHa love you byeeee

(Y/N): love you too, sutpid

Trashykawa: sUTpiD

(Y/N): die.

The small manager sighed, somewhat missing his annoying presence on her walk to the volleyball courts. After helping out Coach Ukai teach some of the older kids about the different tempos, she left and picked up some hot soup from Tooru's favorite ramen shop.

She was about to walk over and drop it off at his house when she realized she forgot her warm-ups in her athletic locker at Seijoh. She was meaning to take them home and add them to the laundry for the week. 

(Y/N) sighed, the walk wasn't that far and it was only a slight detour from Oikawa's anyway. She began heading back to the school, the rain beginning to trickle into a downpour. She took her set of keys to the gym, ready to unlock the door when she noticed the lights were on and a constant thud could be heard from inside.

She cautiously pushed on the door to find it unlocked and opened it to find a familiar figure.

"What the hell are you doing here." She said, staring into the guilty eyes of her "sick" boyfriend. She scanned the court to see a bunch of volleyballs scattered across the floor. She gripped the takeout bag harder, the plastic smiley face mocking her current mood.

"I'm sorry (Y/N)," He said quickly, "I didn't want to worry you and I knew you would be mad-"

"Damn right I'm mad!" She yelled, losing her composure as she noticed his knees looked red and swollen. She stormed right up to him, her head coming level to his collarbone, "Are you trying to permanently damage your knee?! Because if that's the case, it can be easily be arranged." She cracked her knuckles, furious enough to break his kneecaps herself.

"You don't understand." He frowned, "I'm doing this for the team. This is the only way I can get better so we can beat Shiratorizawa."

"No, you're not doing this for the team because the team needs you to be healthy and fit for the Spring Tournament. You're doing this for yourself and your worthless pride!"

"Worthless pride? You've been hanging around your brother too much," He said in a cold voice, one he had never used against her before, "Unlike your brother, I'm not some genius player. No, to compete with him and Tobio-chan, I have to give my blood, sweat, and tears." He continued in his icy tone, "I'm sorry for what happened to you, (Y/N), but I'm not you. I know my limits."

(Y/N) felt tears well up, she had once thought the same thing. Now she understood how her dad felt when she refused to listen to him. 

She frowned and said softly, "If you believe that a person was simply born with something superior to you, then it is impossible to overcome. If you see it as a foregone conclusion, you've already lost." 

Oikawa froze, recognizing those words from his idol player, Jose Blanco. 

She smiled sadly, "Worlds Camp. Four years ago. Invitation only." She handed Oikawa the plastic bag of ramen, "You're more talented than you think." She then walked out of the gym, her warm-ups long forgotten.

She remembered the first time she had truly met Oikawa. She had been 10 years old, nervously attending World Camp for U-14 Girls. The coaches had the younger players watch one of the U-16 Boys' games. That's where she noticed an amazing setter who somehow, despite meeting many of the players for the first time that day, was able to set perfect balls, bringing the best out in all his teammates. 

Oikawa, Tooru. She later learned his name from whispers among the top coaches and players in the country. She hadn't realized the pretty boy she met her first day at Aoba Johsai was the same person. 

Oikawa POV

Oikawa couldn't believe this. (Y/N) had attended the same camp as him. He didn't even realize she had been there. He opened the bag and the familiar smell of his favorite ramen wafted out. His mouth watered, betraying his sense of shame. 

He winced as he walked over to pick up all the volleyball. He felt a sharp pain as he bent down and picked one up. He knew that he was reaching his limit, but he couldn't stop himself. He needed to be the best. 

He sighed and continued practicing. Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

URGENT PLEASE READ

HI GUYS SO QUICK POLL (comment your preference please). This story was always meant to span over Year 2 and Year 3 (so we can meet some more of my favorite characters), but I wondered if you wanted to have the Year 3 Arc part of this book (so this book would have a ton of chapters and a large word count) or wanted to split it up and create a sequel (so this would be book 1 and then there would be a book 2).

THANK YOU ALL FOR STILL STICKING WITH ME EVEN THOUGH MY UPLOAD "SCHEDULE" SUCKS.