prologue

September 1st, 1971

"Bravery is evident...you'll defend your friends even if it cost you your life... you're a very clever girl. You could fit into Ravenclaw... quite sneaky as well, but Slytherin is not the place for you... but only one house will suit you properly, so it must be GRYFFINDOR."

A bright smile broke out on eleven-year-old Adelaide Tanelter's small face as the sorting hat was lifted from her head. Her eyes locked on her newly claimed house's table to see the rowdy group cheering for her as she slid off the stool and ran to join them.

Sliding into a spot on the end, she stuck her hand out the shaggy-haired boy she had vaguely remembered seeing on the train. "Adelaide Tanelter, a pleasure to meet you. What might your name be?"

The brunette gave a boyish grin before replying confidently, "Sirius Black at your service. This is James, Remus, and Peter." he said as he referenced to the three boys sitting across from her before looking back at her. "I have a feeling that we will be great friends, Miss Tanelter."

Adelaide face lit up before turning into a small smirk, "I think your feelings might be correct Mr. Black."

Sirius felt something within him the minute his name rolled off her tongue.

Yes, we will. He thought to himself.

And from this point on a crazy but wonderful friendship was formed. They named themselves the marauders and became Adelaide's new family. Quite literally in James Potter's case as his family took her in without a second thought when she was 14 after the girl was disowned by her family. The Tanelter girl spent the next five years playing pranks, dealing with lycanthropy, running around as her very illegal animagus (a pristine white cat), and doing her best to pass divination. From lounging with the boys or being roped into girl talk with Lily and Marlene, Adelaide was content with her life. She had a new family that she loved with her whole being.

She had everything she needed but did she want more?