flufflepuff

September 30th, 1976

-Sirius-

Sirius had never had much of a desire to join the quidditch team, in fact, he preferred watching a certain petite chaser swoop through the sky in a blur of blonde and red from the comfort of the stands. Yet here he was, all geared up, simply because he can't say no to the bloody menace that was his best friend, James Potter, who happened to be a chaser and captain of their house team this year. It didn't help that James had decided to bring in the "big guns" as he liked to call Adelaide. All it took was one pleading look from the girl's dazzling amber eyes and Sirius found himself asking what time practices were.

You're so weak for her. Merlin, get a grip. 

It had been about a week since he laid on the floor of the Gryffindor common room with his best friend, talking about nothing in particular for hours, slipping further in love with her which he didn't even think was possible. Now he stood out on the quidditch pitch next to James as he watched the team trickle in. His eyes peeled looking for the bright-eyed beauty. After a few minutes, he saw her sprinting towards the pitched, her face was flushed from her hearty attempt to get to practice on time. Everyone knew James had a soft spot for her and wouldn't give her any sort of punishment, but that didn't cause her to slow down.

James chuckled from next to him before addressing Adie. "Oi Whiskers, stopped by more love-struck flufflepuffs, have we?"

At the beginning of the week, the invitations to the much anticipated December ball had begun flying around the school. Sirius and Adelaide created a little game, with them both being highly sought after dates, every night after dinner, once they get back to the common room, they share how many suitor propositions they each got to see which one received more that day, dubbing them the more "desirable" of the two. James and Marlene found the game entertaining, often fueling the arguments, Lily and Remus spent most of the time rolling their eyes in amusement, while Peter sat off to the side completely intrigued by the two of them.

Adelaide had found herself running late to many lessons due to a particular seventh-year Hufflepuff constantly stopping her to ask about her current status for the upcoming dance. This was not surprising as he had shown interest the previous years by asking her to Hogesmade multiple times, all of which she came up with a believable excuse as to why she couldn't go.

"Don't patronize me Prongs. The bloody boy won't take a hint," she replied with a small glare.

Sirius chuckled and draped an arm over her shoulder. "You've got to be blunter about it mon cœur, you've technically never told Diggory you aren't interested."

"Unless you are secretly interested in him..." James inquired with a raised eyebrow causing a pit feeling in Sirius's stomach.

"Bugger off, you know I have no interest in that entitled flufflepuff," Adelaide growled back.

"Okay okay, I was just ask-"

She cut him off before he could finish his sentence. "Let's just get on with the practice, you git."

James laughed and turned to address the rest of the team as they all finished getting their practice gear situated. After a quick run-through of warm-ups, the team kicked off the ground. Sirius flew up next to Adelaide.

"So, was Diggory the only suitor today, or have you acquired other invitations from the multitude of strapping young lads we share these hollow halls with?" His voice made his slight smirk apparent, his cockiness radiating off in waves. The raven-haired boy already had quite a few girls approach him about the ball, some even going far enough to share what their company would mean for him after the dancing ends. He chuckled at the straightforwardness but told them all the same thing, that he'd 'consider their propositions'.

"Actually, he was the fifth boy to approach me today," the smaller girl replied, a matching smirk on her lips.

"Five, wow that sure is impressive but unsurprisingly, I have you beat, I'm at six." Sirius winked and right as he was about to tell her not to beat herself up over the fact that she's losing to him, she cuts him off.

"Oh, ma moitié, I said I've received five invitations from boys today, you didn't ask me about the three female invitations I also acquired within the past few hours." She then zoomed off on her broom to join James but not before giving him a flirtatious wink.

Merlin, I already had to compete with every other guy in this bloody school, now I have the girls to worry about too? Why must she be so attractive? 

"Oi, Black! You going to just sit there or are you going to play the game?" James called out to his friend.

"Yeah Black, you wanna play?" Adelaide called out in a suggestive tone causing the Potter boy next to her to let out a loud laugh.

So bloody hot.

Sirius looked over at his friends, "Oh, I'll play alright." Though he wasn't sure he was talking about quidditch.