Chapter 20

ARNAV stood a little distance away as he watched Khushi watering the lawn, looking pensive. As the alamanda, plumaria and ipomea bloomed against the clear blue skies, Arnav realized Khushi looked like one the flowers in her baby pink saree.

His heartbeat quickened when he saw a drop of sweat trickling down the center of her curvy back, toward her waist. He went up to her. 'A penny for your thoughts,' He wrapped his arms around her middle and pulled her into him, placing a kiss on her neck just below her ears.

Khushi shivered delightfully. 'It's just this patch of lawn is drying up and I am not able to figure out why.' She grimaced.

He reluctantly walked over to the lawn and squatted on the ground, inspecting the patch. 'I think it has been attacked by termites. I will write down the pesticide needed for this one. Have the gardener spray the lawn with it.' He took the hose pipe from her hand and threw it on the floor.

'Now that I have solved this problem tell me what's really going on with you.'

'Nothing.' She said in a low voice.

He pulled her close and lifted her chin, looking deep into her eyes. 'You seem very preoccupied from the past few days.'

'I have begun to teach classes every day now. I am not used to it. It's probably just fatigue.You asked me to change my schedule remember?' She said defensively.

'Alright alright.... No need to get so uptight about it.' He moved her errant lock out of her eyes.

'Now that you don't have weekend classes, I will schedule that meeting with Mr Sheik in Agra for this Saturday.'

'This Saturday?' Her face fell.

'What's the problem now?' His brows snapped together.

'I am choreographing for a show which is on Sunday.' She said tentatively. 'I will be busy on Saturday.'

'You have taken up choreography?' He took a step back. 'You didn't tell me.'

She had been afraid of this but she couldn't back out now. 'I didn't think you'd mind.'

'I don't Khushi,' He paused. 'It's just that – I thought -- ' She saw familiar tightening of his jaw when he was trying to control his temper. He looked at his watch. 'I am running late a meeting. I came down here to tell you that I have some bank forms for you to sign.'

'What are they for?'

'I am planning to open a joint account for us.'

'Why?' Khushi's face expressed her dismay.

'So I can share your earnings.' He said seriously.

'Arnav, are you joking?' Khushi said anxiously.' What do you need my earning for? I earn peanuts compared to you!'

'Look Khushi, I have seen many couples fight over finances. I didn't want that to happen with us.'

'Why would we fight about it?' Khushi argued. 'You arranged for my parents to get a monthly income without even asking me about it. Did I say anything?'

'You just did.' He bit out.

'Arnav, I need some space,' Khushi said wringing her hands in anxiety. 'I have lived by myself for the last five years. I am used to making my own decisions. Don't try to take over my life.'

Arnav's face turned into an unreadable stone mask. 'I was kidding when I told you I wanted a share of your earnings,' he said, 'I just thought you could have your own credit card and a cheque book you could use when I am not around.'