Chapter 9

RAIZADA Mansion was resplendent with lights, shimmery curtains and flowers adorning its walls, on the night of Diwali. A huge rangoli lined with oil lamps adorned the floor of the foyer providing a glowing welcome to guests who would arrive for the Diwali party.

The entire Raizada family stood in the living room along with the Malhotras, Lavanya and NK.

As Khushi walked down the stairs, Arnav lifted his head automatically sensing her before everyone else. She was stunning. Her milky white skin glowed against the red saree -- a red georgette with a gold and bronze zari border and a brocade blouse in red, bronze and gold threads. His heartbeat began its erratic rhythm as he realized this was the same saree she wore five years ago – the very first time he had seen her in a saree.

But there was a difference in the way she looked then and now. Earlier if she was gracefully willowy – now -- she looked utterly sensual. Her breasts and hips were fuller, making her waist look even tinier making him want to wrap his hands around it. But what surprised him was that she managed to look innocent and demure as though she was unaware of her own sensuality, her career in showbiz notwithstanding. Her long and lustrous black hair fell like a water fall down her back, swaying as she walked with the grace of a dancer. The dozen red bangles on her right hand slid downward as she lifted her hand to tuck a strand of hair behind her ear, in an unconscious gesture. He knew most of the male guests' attention was riveted on her but he noted with satisfaction that her eyes were drawn to him.

He almost took an unconscious step toward her, when he saw NK walking to the base of the stairs to take her hand. He fisted his hands at his side, his jaw hardening as a barely controlled temper simmered in his brown eyes.

Khushi's eyes clouded as reality hit her with a force. NK! NK was offering his hand but her own hand refused to comply. She made an excuse that her hand was dirty.

'I don't know why Khushi behaves like a prude,' Lavanya muttered under her breath. 'As if she couldn't have given NK her hand.'

'Well, traditional Indian women are not prone to giving their hand to any Tom, Dick or Harry.' Arnav retorted trying to keep his tone as neutral as possible.

'Come on Arnav, she is almost engaged to him.'

'The key word here is almost Lavanya .' He grated.

'Don't we get to see your performance today dear?' Mrs Malhotra asked Khushi as she and NK joined their group.

'Sorry Mrs Malhotra.' NK said regretfully.

'Khushi bitiya has taken on the burden of making all the arrangements for this party.' Naniji explained. 'I didn't want her to tire herself further.'

'She even made the rangoli you all saw in the foyer.' Anjali supplied.

'I couldn't have done without your help Di.' She and Anjali had painstakingly made the rangoli the previous night, amidst laughter while she regaled anecdotes from her stint at her TV show. Arnav had joined them a little while earlier to fix a small fault in the wiring for the serial lights and they had hung out together like old times.

'I am sure Khushi could manage a small itsy-bitsy performance.' NK said jovially.

'Why don't you do something when so many people are asking?' Mamiji's tone was acidic.

'I have never seen Khushiji's performance.' Shyam added to Khushi's woe.

Arnav spoke up. 'I am afraid Khushi will not be able to perform tonight.' Everyone including Khushi looked at him expectantly, 'We have a meeting scheduled with a client and I need her to be present.'