Chapter 15

KHUSHI woke up with a start, her heart pounding wildly even as her brain registered the loud noise. Someone was at the door! As her eyes accustomed itself to the darkness, her heart skipped a beat when she realized she was in Arnav's bed. She looked on her right to see that the other side of the bed was unoccupied. The beside clock showed 5'o clock. As the knocking got urgent she got swung herself off the bed.

Suddenly, she caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror and on an impulse she quickly took off her jewellery, before she went up to the door and opened it.

'Khushi!' Anjali said in a rush, 'wake Arnav. We have to get to the hospital right away. It's dad. He is in ICU.'

She wasn't sure if Arnav had returned home last night. She would have to stall for time. 'What happened Di?' she said her tone laced with concern.

'Dr Manav tells me that his blood pressure has shot up really high all of a sudden. Is Arnav ----?'

'Rani Sahiba,' Shyam interrupted her. 'I saw saale saab leaving late in the night yesterday. I don't think he is back. I don't see his car.'

Khushi felt a sudden urge to defend him. 'He.... He has gone to the office.'

'At that time of the night?' Shyam raised his eyebrows.

'He needed some ... some important documents that he kept there.'

Anjali immediately dialled his number only to hear it ringing from somewhere in the room. 'He hasn't taken his phone with him!' Anjali said anxiously. 'I will try the office number.'

'Rani Sahiba,' Shyam said holding her arm, 'Have you thought that saale saab might not want to come?'

'He has to come Shyam!' tears began to flow down her cheeks. 'He is our father.'

'Don't you remember how he behaved when you tried to speak to him last time?' Shyam reminded her. 'We have been taking care of babuji till now and will continue to do so. Why do you want to force him?'

'Di,' Khushi intervened, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. 'Why don't you go ahead with Shyamji? I will call the office.'

'I don't think he will come Khushi.' Anjali said in a low voice.

'He will, Di,' Khushi said taking Anjali in her arms, 'I promise.'

As Shyam went ahead toward the car, he smirked thinking how naïve Khushi was in thinking she can get that arrogant b@#$%^ to the hospital. God he hated him for landing up at the last moment and spoiling his best laid plans for Khushi.

When the courier had arrived at the Raizada House from The Oberoi, he had called the hotel back impersonating Arnav and thanked them for the package. The manager had immediately told him that they had safely kept the jacket that his lady friend had left behind, apologizing for the delay in sending it. He had requested them to patronize their hotel the next time they were in town.

Luckily he had also been aware of Khushi's dance programme in Agra and that she hadn't returned that night because of fog. He had put two and two to together. He knew that Khushi had not slept with Arnav. She was purity personified. But it was important to malign her character in order to protect her. There was no other way. He had immediately called NK's mother in Australia and given her that information.

How could he let Khushi marry NK? He didn't deserve someone as exquisite a Khushi in his life.

But he had never imagined that Arnav would land up just in time and act as a knight in shining armour. Khushi had rightly refused to marry him. But her obnoxious parents had probably emotionally blackmailed her into this marriage, hoping to wash their hands off their foster daughter.