Chapter 6

NEXT morning, Arnav sat working on his laptop, his thoughts going back to previous night. Lavanya had left early due to a headache. NK has also been called away on an office emergency and Ria had left along with him. Khushi had seemed subdued and silent on the way back home. He came back to the present when he heard a knock on the door. Hariprakash had brought in his breakfast.

Arnav felt a weird sensation like something was missing when he saw Hariprakash putting the tray down on his table. Was it the absence of the subtle tinkle of anklets, or was it the clinking of bangles, the sweet smell of roses? The word coffee hadn't sounded sweeter from any other lips. Damn!

'Where is Khushi?' he asked, his voice a little harsh.

'She has gone out, Arnavji. But I don't know where.'

She did mention yesterday she was going to be busy but that small piece was information didn't seem to be putting him in any ease.

An hour later, he closed his lap top with a bang. He couldn't take it anymore. He had to know where she was. But he didn't want to call her. He went downstairs and into Nani's room.

'Nani, do you know where Khushi is?' he asked her. 'I have to ask her something about work.'

'She is visiting her parents today Chotte,' Nani replied. 'She goes there after she receives her salary so she can buy the monthly provision and her father's medicines. She will probably be back after lunch. Why don't you give her a call?'

'Oh, that's ok I will call her later. There is no hurry.' He went back upstairs to his room.

So she wasn't with NK. He didn't know why that information gave him weird sense of satisfaction.

But that satisfaction didn't last long. Lunch time had come and gone but there was no sign of her. By evening when Khushi hadn't returned he had gone back into his Nani's room.

'Chotte, good you came by,' Nani said. 'I have a favour to ask.'

'Sure Nani, what is it?'

'Mohan, our driver just called. He has an emergency at home. He was supposed to pick up Khushi from Nrityadham but he can't go. Will you be able to pick her up?'

'Nrityadham?' He raised his eyebrow in query.

'She teaches dance there in the weekends.'

An hour later, Arnav stood just inside the Nrityadham class room, watching Khushi. She wore a cream anarkali, suit, with sequined self-embroidered yolk and thin silver border at the hem. One end of her dupatta came down the front like a pallu and the other end was tied up like a sash around her tiny waist. She wore pearl drop earrings and her long dark braid swayed down her back, in tandem with her lissome body, as she twirled round and round.

A young girl of about thirteen stood looking at her and then repeated the step. Once, the girl had finished Khushi smiled at her and the girl jumped with joy raising her hand up in the air.

In a few minutes the class dispersed and he saw her talk to a man who seemed to be the girl's father. She seemed to appealing to him about something and failing because the man was repeatedly shaking his head. Finally, the man left, taking his daughter with him as Khushi stood with a disappointed look on her face. He walked up to her.

'Is everything okay?' he said.

'Arnav!' Khushi exclaimed, clutching a hand to her heart. 'What are you doing here?'

'I am here to pick you up,' he said, 'Mohan got called away for an emergency at home.' He added when he felt she was expecting more.

'Oh, I will just get my bag then.'