Chapter 23

ARNAV sat at the restaurant of the Orchard Hotel of the famous Orchard street in Singapore, sipping his coffee as he scrolled down the news on his ipad. Coincidentally, this restaurant was also called the Orchard Café.

Having lived in US for a long time, he was used to eating bland continental breakfast. But now he stood in front of the cooking station trying his best to ask the Chinese cook to make his omelette extra spicy. The clueless man handed him a bottle of Tobasco sauce. How did Khushi make the omelette so tasty? He had a sudden craving for her parathas. What had she done to his palate?

It was two days since he had come to Singapore and he hated every single minute of it. He missed Khushi like crazy. He missed seeing her face first thing in the morning and the last thing before he went to sleep. The nights were the toughest. He missed having her in his arms, sifting his hand through her hair, making love to her, her warm body plastered to his while they slept.

He had to get over this addiction. He was a businessman and he had to travel. There was no way he was going to be able to take her everywhere he went. It wouldn't be fair on her as she had her dance classes to think about. He thought about the impending month-long US trip. What was he going to do? He wanted to hear her voice. He checked the time. It was too early to call her. Dammit!

Contrary to what Arnav was thinking, back in India Khushi wasn't asleep at all, thrashing about as she was ensconced in the grip of a nightmare. Someone was chasing her in a dark alley and she was trying to escape him until she had hit a dead end. As she tried to calm her pounding heart, she heard a knock on the door and opened it to find Shyam standing there.

'What are you doing here Shyamji?' Khushi was aghast when Shyam walked into the room casually.

He stopped and turned around looking at her contemptuously. 'You know what I am doing here Khushiji. I am here to remind you that we had a deal.'

'Look Shyamji, this is inappropriate.' Khushi whispered. 'This is not the time or place for this discussion. Please leave.'

'This is what happens if you don't pick up calls Khushiji,' he sneered. 'Did you think you could just avoid me and I would do nothing?'

'Shyamji please,' she implored, 'what if someone sees you here?'

Shyam turned around, 'Who is there to hear us?' He sat on the bed.

It suddenly struck Khushi that there was no one in the house except for Naniji. Anjali was in Lucknow for a seminar and Payal and Akash had gone over to spend a couple of days in Mr Malhotra's farm house with NK and Ria.

Shyam looked at the bed and at her and a salacious look entered his eyes. 'Fate has given us this wonderful opportunity to be together Khushiji.'

Khushi moved back all the way toward the door, her entire body quaking with rage. 'Get out!' she bit out, tears filling her eyes. She was ready for flight but she didn't want to worry Naniji unnecessarily.

'Don't you have any pity Khushiji? Do you know how insipid Anjali is in bed? It was a total waste marrying her.'

'Stop it!' Khushi felt bile rise in her throat. 'Don't talk about Di like that!'

'She is not like you Khushiji,' he looked up at her. 'You are so beautiful...vivacious' He stood up and began walking toward her.

Then he continued. 'I saw you throw water on Arnav and run -- that night in the kitchen. That was so provocative. Any man would want to come after you and carry you in his arms -- the way Arnav did.' He stopped in front of her, his eyes sweeping over her lasciviously. 'I want -- that Khushiji.'