Chapter 21

ARNAV turned around to see Khushi standing with her hand folded, shooting daggers with her eyes. He walked up to her and took her hand. 'Come on, let's go.'

'No!' She shrugged off his hand.

'Don't create a scene here,' he grated, 'People are staring at us.'

Khushi's eyes widened. 'I am creating a scene?' she shot back. 'What about what you did?' She reminded him of the kiss.

'Come,' He put forth his hand peremptorily. 'Let's talk about this in the room.'

'I don't want to go with you,' she said adamantly. 'I will order another taxi.'

'Khushi,' Arnav's voice dropped down an octave. 'Don't push me.'

'Or else?' She challenged him.

He picked her up in one swift motion, walked into the lobby, past the wide-eyed people and into the open elevator. He put her down and punched the button to their floor. Khushi refused to talk to him, her entire body seething with anger.

When the elevator stopped, Arnav took her hand and dragged her to the room, using his free hand to insert his card and open the door.

'What was all that drama back there?' He said as they stood just inside the door.

'Look who's talking!' Khushi exclaimed.

'Come again?'

'The way you smoothly put Lavanya in that taxi and sent her to Delhi.'

'So?' He looked clueless, squinting his eyes in confusion. 'How else am I supposed to send her to Delhi?'

'You were planning to send her to Delhi,' she stated sardonically. 'And what were you planning to do in this room?'

'I was planning to do --- er..be with you.' He shrugged his shoulders.

'With me? 'Khushi's anger rose up a notch. 'Are you trying to tell me you knew I would come here?'

'I wasn't sure --' He paused, '— I had a hunch –since I told you I was going with Lavanya .' He added sheepishly.

'What?' Khushi raised her eyebrows in astonishment.

'I know you are a little jealous of her.'

Little? Khushi's heart filled with anguish. 'How can you be so casual about it Arnav?'

'Come on Khushi,' Arnav said affably, 'Most of my business associates tell me their wives are jealous of their female colleagues.

'Unbelievable!'

'We work in the business of sales and marketing Khushi. Many of the associates are women – and some of them are quiet attractive. We have to interact with them.'

'Can you define "interact"?' She demanded.

'We work, talk, share a cup of coffee ---'

'Share a bed.' She said tersely.

Arnav went completely still, his brown eyes simmering. 'Look Khushi, I agree that I was no saint.

But they were all "no-strings-attached" relationships and none of them meant anything. It is all in the past now.'

It was probably "no-strings-attached" only from Arnav's side. Was it possible to be with him and not fall in love with him, she wondered.

'Are you telling me that you have never been with Lavanyaji after we got married?' She waited with bated breath.