Chapter 5

KHUSHI paused outside Arnav's office, looking at him through the open blinds of the glass partition. It had been a few days since their last encounter, but he gave no signs he remembered anything. She had expected some form of awareness, mockery, even patent vulnerability she had revealed at his almost kiss, but he had chosen to ignore her and swamped her with a mountain load of work. His hard face set in business mode, he was the cold, commanding, high-flying tycoon in full regalia. Then, he looked up.

Aware that her colour was high, she regained her composure before entering the room. It was the way he had suddenly raised his head that had done it, sent her body into an abrupt awareness of him as she had met the piercing caramel gaze so suddenly.

'Coffee.' She placed the cup on the table.

'I have a business meeting at a client's place in an hour. I will be back by four.' The husky voice was brisk.

'I hope your meeting goes well,' she said politely as her senses registered the dark hair slicked back and gleaming with health, the sleek planes of his face, with a day old stubble that were far more attractive than any pretty-boy good looks.

'So do I.' He grimaced as he shut his lap top settling back in his chair, coffee mug in hand, in a way that indicated his ease with himself and the world about him. 'But it won't be pleasant, not initially.

'I have the impression that these people have browbeaten Akash, and are now trying to back me into a corner and I don't like that at all, so it will have to be the tough-guy approach, with all the guns firing. They think they have the upper hand, but I won't allow myself to be manipulated by anyone, and they might as well realise that straight off.'

The way he looked today, she couldn't imagine how anyone would have the nerve to take such liberties. He wore a black business suit, grey shirt and a tie with wide diagonal stripes in black and grey. She nodded a response.

As he left the room, she felt the odd sensation of being bereft. She rebuked herself sharply for such a dangerous weakness. She was helping him out for a few days. That was all. That was all.

At four, she sat at her desk munching on biscuits dipped in tea when she saw Lavanya walk into the office and up to her desk.

'Khushi!' she exclaimed, 'I wasn't expecting you here. Is Arnav in?'

'He is out attending a meeting across town. He should be back any minute. Would you like to wait for him in his office?' She stood up and led her up to his office.

'Bring me a cup of coffee will you?' Lavanya said as she seated herself on one of the chairs.

'That is not Khushi's job,' Arnav had come up behind her. 'I will have Raju, our office boy bring you a cup.' He said taking his seat. 'Hold on Khushi,' he stopped her as she made a move to leave. 'Lavanya will be joining us to help with marketing and PR,' He waved her into a chair. 'I have fixed a meeting tomorrow so we can brief her up on what we need.'

'I don't think you will need me for that one Arnavji.' She had no intention of being a dog in the manger, especially when she could see Lavanya shooting daggers with her eyes.

Arnav's eyes hardened at her reply. 'I would appreciate it if you could let me decide that.'

'I don't work on Saturdays.'

'You have got to be kidding me!' He exclaimed. 'We have loads of work here.'

'Oh leave her be Arnav,' Lavanya interjected leaning on the table, in a slightly provocative gesture. 'I am not free tomorrow either. Let's reschedule for Monday. And now tell me, if you have decided about tonight?'