Chapter 16

AS KHUSHI came down to for breakfast, Naniji looked at her grand daughter-in-law a little wistfully.

Life hadn't changed too much for Khushi as she continued to do the same chores in the house that she did earlier. But instead of helping Payal, she was taking care of Anjali who had moved into the house having fractured her leg three weeks ago, following her father's thirteenth day ceremony.

On the fateful day, Khushi had gone over for a visit and not being able to get through to her, had the door broken in, to find her unconscious at the foot of stairs. She had immediately called Dr Manav who had rushed to the house along with an ambulance. He had told her that Anjali was lucky it was just her leg and not her neck, head or spine. She had been put in a cast and had been told to rest for six weeks. As Shyam was busy at work, Naniji had suggested that Anjali move in so they could take care of her and had invited him to stay with them until Anjali recovered.

In the middle of breakfast, when she heard Manorama deride Khushi about something, Naniji closed her eyes in resignation. Manorama's dislike for Khushi had increased considerably since the wedding. If she was condescending earlier, now she was downright disdainful, making it obvious that she had neither forgiven nor forgotten the wedding fiasco.

But Khushi didn't seem to mind it at all, going about her work in her usual dedicated way. She took care of her orchids, in addition to the new plants Arnav had added since he had moved in. She babysat Ashu as the little boy was extremely attached to his maasi. She also continued to assist Akash with the new project, while she taught dance in the weekends. But there was a visible change in her.

Naniji had been talking to Anjali the other day discussing how Khushi seemed somewhat different. Married look became her as she adorned her forehead with sindoor and wore her mangalsutra short, closer to her neck. But it wasn't just that. She looked stunningly incandescent. She seemed to have a certain spring in her step – almost like her eighteen year old self. They knew it was to do with Arnav, but what puzzled them was that Arnav wasn't even in town in the past three weeks. He had left for the US the day after the ceremony. It had always been difficult to understand these two she thought with a sigh.

Payal came to breakfast with Ashu in her arms and Khushi took him from her and asked her to sit down next to Akash.

'So what are the plans for holi tomorrow?' Shyam asked munching on his paratha.

'I am not in the mood for holi.' Anjali said in a low-voice.

'Rani Sahiba,' Shyam said in his usual patronizing tone. 'Babuji wouldn't want you to sit around and cry all the time now, would he? I think you should celebrate life.'

'I agree with Anjali damaadiji, it's just too soon ---' Naniji began.

'But I am in the mood for a celebration, ' Mamiji countered in her shrill voice. 'I have invited our friends to come over tomorrow and there will definitely be celebrations.'

'Mom please!' Akash said.

'Why Akash?' Mamiiji demanded her voice rising. 'Mr Arun Malik was dead to us a long time ago!' Mamiji stated callously, mentioning her late brother-in-law's name like he was a total stranger.

'Manorama!' Naniji was appalled at her daughter-in-law's insensitivity in the presence of Anjali . Manorama stood up angrily and walked away.

'This is not right Amma!' Mamaji stood up in anger. 'Why do you want her to stop celebrating holi? Because your ex-son-in-law died? Your daughter hated the man for God's sake!'

'Beta, listen ---'

'No Amma, you listen,' he cut her off. 'Manorama is still upset because of what happened.' He looked at Khushi pointedly. 'She has had to face a lot of embarrassment with her side of the family. So I would suggest you just keep quiet in this matter.' He walked away from the dining room.