Chapter 2

KHUSHI sat in the passenger seat of NK's car, looking out the window, as they crossed the city limits of Delhi. The farmhouse was located on the outskirts, on the Delhi-Jaipur highway.

'This is one of best times of the year in Delhi, isn't it?' NK remarked. It was October and the temperature was pleasant, neither too hot not too cold. The flowering trees were in full bloom and lifted Khushi's spirits immensely.

'I am going to have a garden someday.' Khushi hadn't realized she had spoken out aloud.

'We will have to have a gardener then,' NK laughed. 'Gardening is something I know nothing about.'

'I love flowers,' Khushi continued. 'Plumaria, Allamanda....,'

'What?'

'They are the name of flowering plants Narenji. I would love to plant all of them. They are simply beautiful. They bring peace to the heart.'

'You such a sensitive person Khushi,' NK gave her a sideways look. 'Don't worry. Mr Malhotra's farm house has extensive gardens. You will enjoy it.'

'That will be wonderful!' Khushi exclaimed, her face brightening at the prospect.

'I didn't know you loved gardens so much,' NK commented on a note of faint surprise. 'Did your house have a garden?'

'No, we could never afford to have a garden in our house. Khushi's heart gave a lurch as images flashed through her mind. 'A long time ago, I went to a place called Valley of Flowers in Dehradun.'

'I have heard about this place,' NK said, 'So that's when you started liking flowers so much.'

'Uh?' Khushi seemed lost.

Looking at the faraway expression on her face NK said, 'Khushi, is there something you want to tell me?'

'What?' Khushi queried warily.

'Did someone hurt you in the past?'

'It doesn't matter Narenji.'

'Khushi, please?' he persisted.

'I was just a girl. Very young,' she shrugged.

'What happened?'

'We were from different worlds.' It felt like a knife was being twisted in her heart.

'I am sorry for bringing this up.' He looked at her pale profile, her hands clutching her purse so tight that her knuckles were showing white. But I've sensed this all along and I just thought I should ask.'

'Why should you be sorry?' She lifted her head, tears swimming in her brilliant hazel eyes. 'Does this bother you too much?'

'It bothers me that you have been hurt –scarred. He seems like a cruel person to have affected you so much. Some time I would like you tell me all about it.'

Never, she thought. Never like it was. Her own voice whispering, so painfully young and eager.

I love you I love you Arnav had possessed her soul and she had never forgotten; lives that touched briefly, a rapture and a nightmare. Her nights, her dreams filled with malevolent ghosts of the past.

'Let's not talk about it,' she said her mind whirling with images of the past. 'It was all over a long time ago.'

'Yet it bothers you so much even now.' NK pursed his lips in a tight line. 'Khushi, I hope you are as happy about this marriage as I am.'

'Khushi, you better accept this proposal, you are not going to get a better boy than Nanda kisore.' Buaji's shrill voice rang out.

'But, what's the hurry Buaji?'