Chapter 3

DINNER was grand affair with variety of dishes ranging from salads, starters, soups, breads, and accompaniments to a wide selection of mouth -watering desserts. It was perfectly prepared, yet it was irrefutably spoiled for Khushi. It was agony standing in the same room as Arnav, trying to behave like a normal guest.

'I am looking forward to your performance,' Arnav came up behind her suddenly.

Khushi turned toward him. He looked older, harder --- better than he had ever looked in his life. One thing that hadn't changed was his eyes – mesmerizing caramel orbs, unforgettable, intense.

'Do you understand anything about dance Mr Raizada?' Ria asked him.

'A little,' He paused, 'thanks to someone very close to me.'

Khushi's eyes flashed at him. Stop doing this to me. I hate you for coming back into my life like this.

He continued, 'You see my Nani was a dancer in her younger days.'

They were staring into each other's eyes, and even now after everything Khushi was devouring those well remembered features, noticing the changes. The brilliant, faintly reckless air was gone. Here was a man who had his life, his thoughts and his feelings better organised than anyone else would know. The almost awesome good looks had hardened into a different mould as faultless as ever but wholly sombre, wholly stern; black-brown hair, lightly tanned skin, hollow planes, brilliant brown eyes, majestic eyebrows, lashes that were thick and long. The look of fresh youth, the vivid smile, tousled hair, the sweetness about the sculptured mouth was gone. Arnav Singh Raizada looked a powerful and dominant man.

'Of course!' NK said loudly bringing Khushi out of her trance.

After dinner the men went back to their drinks while the women gathered around to entertain themselves. Lavanya went up to join the men.

'I don't know why that girl wants to ruin her marriage by going after Arnav,' Mrs Malhotra confided to her in an undertone.

'What do you mean?' Khushi raised her eyebrows in surprise.

'Lavanya is married to Karan Singhania the stinking rich business tycoon, but I have heard he has walked out on her – and rumour is, it is because of Arnav.'

'What?' Khushi was appalled.

'Arnav's mother died in a car accident a year ago. Lavanya 's mother was also in the same car when the car crashed. I think this tragedy might have brought them closer.'

Khushi's heart began to pound wildly. Sharada Singh Raizada --- the proud, vivacious, vital woman, no more. She remembered the feeling of shock, when Payal had informed her about it.

'Can't really blame her for feeling this way about Arnav, though,' Mrs. Malhotra continued. 'Lavanya was the girl Arnav's mother had chosen for him. But that marriage never happened. Nobody knows why. The poor girl probably never got over it.'

Could anyone? Khushi looked across the room to where Lavanya was hanging on to Arnav's every word. There was no doubt that she was still holding a torch for Arnav. Why hadn't they married all those years ago? None of it had lost its power to haunt her. All this was too much to take in just now and she felt darkness close in on her. She bent her head for a few seconds.

'Khushi?' Vaguely Khushi heard that someone was calling her and gradually the feeling passed.

'Hold on to her or she will collapse on the carpet!' Ria's voice was fascinated and impatient.

'I am sorry.' Khushi whispered lifting her head.

'Are you okay?' Mrs Malhotra said holding her shoulder.