Chapter 14

KHUSHI & ARNAV stepped into the mantap together. They looked at each other for countless seconds.

Arnav stood in his jeans and T-shirt, a day old growth of stubble on his cheek, his overgrown hair falling over his forehead and his brown eyes sparkling in spite of the lines of fatigue under it. He never looked better, thought Khushi. Images of her dream flashed before her and she felt like bursting out into peals of laughter. Sometimes dreams really came true and how!

Seeing the twinkle in Khushi's eyes, Arnav's heart skipped a beat. She had lost a lot of weight, making her look like her thirteen year old self. But she looked breathtakingly beautiful, much more than when she had first worn this lehenga for the first time five years ago.

Then they heard someone calling out to them. It was the panditji asking them to take their seats. He asked Khushi to sit on Arnav's right. He created a sacred fire with ghee and wooden sticks, in order to evoke Agni the fire god, which would serve as a witness to the rituals binding them together.

Amidst the blazing fire of the havankund and the chanting of the mantras, Arnav tied the mangalsutra around Khushi's neck, his hands shaking a little as he fastened the hook. As he picked up a pinch of sindoor between his fingers, and placed it on her forehead, Khushi closed her eyes, the beat of her heart loud in her ears.

She opened her luminous teary eyes to see him looking at her with awe. As they continued to look into each other's eyes, they heard Anjali whisper to them that it was time for their pheras around the fire. She tied their chunris together.

As the pheras began – the seven rounds around the fire, each symbolizing a vow, Khushi and Arnav pledged their commitment to each other for a lifetime.

'You were right Nani,' Anjali gushed as she showered the couple with flower petals during the phera. 'Whatever happened here today was nothing less than a divine intervention.'

'Didn't I tell you to have faith in Mata Rani?' Naniji smiled with tears of joy in her eyes.

Shyam who was standing next to them couldn't believe that what was going on. Why Khushiji, why did you agree?

The newly married couple took blessings from all the elders present and wishes from the younger ones.

Akash had discreetly explained the situation to the guests and had requested everyone to stay back for the dinner.

Later that night, Arnav told Akash to take everyone go home as Ashu was tired and cranky. He told him that he would come in a little later with Khushi. Half an hour later, Arnav drove Khushi home in his own car while Khushi dozed in the backseat. When they reached the house, he opened the backdoor, gently raised her and picked her up in his arms. Khushi woke up from her slumber and protested but he silenced her pleas and carried her to the front door where Anjali , Akash, Payal and Nani were waiting for them. Manorama and her husband were conspicuous with their absence.

'Arnav, how did you know the custom of carrying the bride over the threshold?' Anjali teased her brother holding the pooja thaali in her hand.

'Well, I don't know about any custom but this bride is too exhausted.' He said looking down at her wan face.

'Put me down.' She whispered into his ear.

'No.'

Payal came forward and placed a pot of rice on the threshold. 'Khushi is supposed to kick this pot of rice Arnavji.'

'Can't I just do that for her?' he said, raising his eyebrows.

As the Raizada family began chuckling, Naniji said, 'Chotte, there will be a lot of things you will be doing for her in the future. But this is one thing she has to do herself. Put her down for a minute.'