12

《︎𝘈𝘶𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘳'𝘴 𝘗𝘖𝘝》︎

Roger and Shaw had a conversation with Ren's uncle, Wesley. They were concerned that Ren might be a bad influence. Naturally, Wesley defended him, but when Ren discovered this, he became extremely furious, to say the least.

"I don't believe this town. I bring Chloe and Ariel home past their curfews one time, and now their dad's are all up in my uncle's grill, making threats. It's ridiculous!" Ren says as he washes his car. Willard is on the other side of the car "supervising."

"Yeah. Well, you know what it is? You got an attitude problem." He says.

Ren scoffs. "I got an attitude problem?"

"Yeah, you got an attitude problem. Every chance you get, you're bad-mouthing this town." He tosses another corn nut into his mouth. "We're small-time, but we got satellites and cell phones like everyone else. We're making some progress." He hands Ren the water hose.

"Don't talk to me about progress. I've been here two months and haven't seen one wet T-shirt contest. What's up with that?" Ren remarks, spraying down the car.

Willard nods in agreement. "Probably some stupid law against it. I tell you what though. You get a petition for that, I'd sign it. Because if we can't have braless, wet women here in Bomont, the terrorists win." Ren thinks for a second.

"That's not a bad idea. We could start our own petition. Challenge the law against public dancing." Willard gives Ren an unsure look. "Why not? Then we can just organize our own dance. I'm not talking about some drunken kegger or free-for-all orgy."

Willard laughs. "That right there? That's an idea!"

"I'm talking about a formal, respectable dance. One that's not held in the church, with everyone's eyes on you." Ren says.

"You could have it in the Bomont lockup. 'Cause what you're talking about is against the law." Willard leans on the wall as he eats his snack. They hear footsteps running towards them.

"Bout time you showed up!" Ren teases as Chloe runs up out of breath.

"Hey, sorry I'm late. I was busy getting interrogated." She says dropping her bag on the ground.

"You're fine. Just grab a hose." Willard says.

"So what law are you planning on breaking?" She asks as she rinses the windshield.

"Ren wants to do the hoedown throwdown at the OK Corral without adult supervision." Willard nudges her making her turn to face Ren.

"You want to have a dance, like a Prom? What are you nuts?"

Ren lifts an eyebrow at her. "How on God's green one do you translate what he says?"

"I passed my Southernese class with flying colors. You should take it." She winks making Ren rolls his eyes. "Why are you trying to break the law? You cause enough trouble as it is."

"Let me tell you something about the law." He walks to her side of the car. "It's meant to be challenged."

Chloe shrugs."Well what about my Dad and the board? They are tough nuts to crack."

Ren holds his hands up in defense. "Look, nothing's set in stone."

Willard walks up and shoots a corn nut at Ren's car. "Ten Commandments were." Chloe laughs. Ren's eyes darken and he walks to the other side of the car.

"What's your smart-aleck reply to that?" Chloe asks.

"My smart-aleck reply?" Ren starts spraying them with water.

"Hey! C'mon, man!" Willard runs around.
"Stop! You want that wet T-shirt contest, come and get it!" Willard puts Chloe in front of him so she gets sprayed.

"Willard!!" They laugh and fool around for a little while.

***

"The price of a dog license will go from 10 dollars to 15 dollars. A licensed pet is a happy one." Woody, Ren, and Willard are at the town hall meeting. Woody turns to look at Ren.

"All right. Well, they just finished. If you was gonna make your move, this is when you do it." Ren looks up at Roger who is sat in the middle of the large table.

"It is at this time we will take any new business or concerns. Come down to the podium, state your name and address." Chloe who was seated in the front row, turned to look at Ren. "Anyone?" He doesn't move.

"This meeting is adjourned!" They call making Chloe huff. She gets up and walks out of the room with Roger and Shaw. Before she leaves she turns to look at the boys. She points to a stair well.

"So anyway, I was telling Clover we hadn't had you and Vi over for Sunday brunch in quite a while. If you wanna get together..." Roger says as they walk down the steps with Chloe trailing behind them.

"That'd be great." Shaw says.

"Reverend Moore, Mr. Dunbar!" They turn to see Ren, Willard, and Woody."It's Ren McCormack. Wesley's nephew?"

"Yes, Ren. We know who you are." Shaw huffs, trying to keep a tight lipped smile on his face.

"Yeah, well I figured you did. Wes told me you three had a talk."

Shaw looks down. "Yes. There was a conversation between your uncle and myself, but it wasn't meant for your ears."

Ren nods. "There's a lot of that going on in this town. It's like that saying. The one about children? How's it go?"

Roger huffs. "That they're better seen than heard?"

Chloe rolls her eyes. "Yeah. Well, I just wanted to let you know I'm starting a petition to challenge the ordinance prohibiting public dancing. I just wanted to make sure my intentions were clear." Ren glances at Chloe who has just about chewed her bottom lip off.

"Well... Good day, Ren." Shaw says as he leaves with Roger. Chloe turns and high fives Ren.

"Showdown with the preacher man!" Woody says smacking Ren's back.

"You got balls the size of coconuts." Willard laughs.

Ren pushes Willard. "Listen to me, you corn-fed hick. If I got to stand up in front of the city council and make my case, y'all gotta learn how to dance." Ren turns to Chloe. "Except for you. You're good."