2

《︎𝘊𝘩𝘭𝘰𝘦'𝘴 𝘗𝘖𝘝》︎

"He is testing us. Our Lord is testing us. Especially now...when we are consumed with despair. When we are asking our God why this had to happen. No parent should ever have to know the horror of burying their own child. And yet...five of Bomont's brightest have lost their lives. Among them, my only son. My boy. Bobby." I hold in a sob as I sit there listening to what Reverend had to say. "We have other children to raise here in Bomont. And one day, they will no longer be in our... embrace and in our care. They will belong to the world. A world filled with evil and temptation.....and danger. But until that day, they are ours to protect. That is the lesson to be taken from this tragedy. That is our test. We cannot be missing from our children's lives."

Reverend Shaw clears his throat and sits down. We turn to Roger.

"The following measures will be read and voted on accordingly. A curfew for minors under the age of 18 will take effect immediately. Minors must be home by ten p.m. on weeknights, 11 p.m. on weekends. All in favor, say "Aye." He looks to the others on the board.

"Aye." The board says. I roll my eyes just like every other teenager in that room did.

"Opposed. Motion carries." Roger says.

"Punitive measures will be taken against any individual, group or property owner who organizes a public gathering where minors engage in inappropriate activities."

"Such activities include consumption of alcohol or unlawful drugs, listening to vulgar or demeaning amplified music, or participating in lewd or lascivious dancing."

"All in favor, say "Aye."

"Aye." The board says.

"Oh you have got to be kidding me." I hiss.

"Motion carried."

"There will be no public displays of dancing unless supervised as part of a school, civic or church-related function. Outside of these authorized institutions, public dancing among Bomont's minors will be in violation of the law." I feel my jaw drop to the floor.

"All in favor, say "Aye."

"Aye." The Reverend stays silent. Roger looks to him.

"Reverend?" Shaw looks to Roger. "Your vote, please."

"Aye."

"Opposed. Motion carried."

"What?!" I exclaim quite loudly. Everyone turns and looks at me.

"Clover." Roger says in a firm tone. I groan in frustration and walk out of the building. I hear a door open and shut behind me followed by angry stomps. I turns to see Ariel Moore, Bobby's little sister.

"Ariel?-" Before I can say anything else, Ariel slaps me across the face. I hissed at the stinging sensation.

"This is your fault! I know you went to that party with him so why didn't you stop them!" She yelled as she choked out a sob.

"Ariel, he wouldn't have listened to me anyway. T-They were drunk, we all were."

"Don't you blame this on him!" Ariel's mom, Vi came running out and grabbed her daughter trying to comfort her. Vi gives me a sympathetic look.

"I'm so sorry." I whisper before running off.

three years later...