NINETEEN

《︎𝘈𝘶𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘳'𝘴 𝘗𝘖𝘝》︎

The Sunday morning service couldn't come fast enough. The parents of the teens insisted that they get one last ok from Reverend Shaw about them having the dance, before they turned their children loose. Chloe and Ren exchanged glances the whole service, waiting for Shaw to get up and speak. Everyone turns their attention to the front when Shaw clears his throat.

"I'm standing before you today with a troubled heart. I've insisted on taking responsibility for your lives. But I'm really... just like a first-time parent who makes mistakes, and learns as he goes along. And, like that parent, I find myself at that moment when I have to decide.. do I hold on or do I trust you to yourselves?" Shaw looks to Ariel. "Do I let go and hope that you've understood my lessons? If we don't start trusting our children... how will they ever become trustworthy?" Shaw looks down at his podium trying to find the right words. "I'm told that the senior class at Bomont High School has secured the use of a warehouse in nearby Bayson for a senior dance. Please join me in keeping them in our prayers... that our Lord will guide them in their endeavors." Chloe's jaw drops. She couldn't believe what she was hearing. "Now, if you will turn to your hymnals... page 472."

"See? Who said there's no miracles?" Ren's uncle Wes whispers. Ren smiles and turns to Chloe. She gives him and big smile.

After the service the Seniors and some people from town all gathered at the warehouse they're going to hold the dance in. They started cleaning and getting the place ready for the big night.

"Willard, look in there." Chloe turns away from the chandelier they were building and looks to Ren and Willard.

"What is this?" Willard asks. Ren pulls a lever and some air blows out at Willard, scaring him. Chloe laughs and shakes her head. Ren's aunt Lulu nudges Chloe.

"Hey, slacker. If we don't get this done you guys are gonna be dancing in the dark." Lulu teases. Chloe blushes and looks down.

"Sorry, I guess I'm just easily distracted." Chloe says glancing at Ren. Lulu smirks.

"I can see that." Chloe turns back to the lights. "Clover or Chloe?" Lulu asks.

"Whichever you feel comfortable with." Chloe says.

"Chloe, I need you to promise me one thing." Chloe looks up at Lulu. "Promise me you won't break his heart." Lulu says. Chloe laughs.

"Believe me, Lulu. You have nothing to worry about. He would probably dump me before I could even think about dumping him." Chloe says. Lulu smiles.

"Well, I can assure you that that boy loves you more than life." Chloe blushes and looks down. Ren runs up behind them.

"Hey, you guys done with this light yet?" Lulu nods.

"Just finished the last string." She says wrapping a string of lights.

"Wow it looks great." Ren says rubbing the small of Chloe's back. The boys all run over so they can pull it up.

"Grab hold. All right, let's lift!" Andy Beamis yells. Chloe gets pulled out of her trance, when Rusty and Ariel approach her. She hadn't spoken with Ariel since the incident at the church.

"So Clover, what are you gonna wear?" Rusty says nudging her shoulder.

"Blue jeans." Chloe shrugs. Rusty scoffs.

"No way! This is the only prom you're gonna get. I know you and Ren didn't bust your butts trying to get this prom just for you to wear blue jeans." Rusty exclaims.

"But I have nothing!" Chloe huffs. Ariel smiles.

"I think I may have something you can use." Chloe gives her a lopsided smile. "If you want you can run by my house and grab it later." Chloe nods.

"I might take you up on that offer." Chloe says, laughing lightly.

By the end of the day, they had finished cleaning up the warehouse. Chloe followed Ariel back to her house. When Chloe entered in, she instantly felt a weird heaviness. She hasn't been in that house since the night of Bobby's accident. They walked up the stairs of the Moore house.

"Wait here. I need to find the box and my room is a disaster." Ariel laughs. Chloe nods.

She glances at Bobby's bedroom door. She thought of all the memories she had shared with Bobby, Lacey, and Ariel. All the times they played house, and how Ariel always got mad when she had to be the dog. She hesitantly walks over to his door and opens it. Everything looked like it was still in place. As if no one had been in there since he passed.

"Did you know Mom and Dad thought about donating all of his stuff." Ariel says from behind Chloe, making her jump slightly. Chloe turns to her.

"Uh, s-sorry." Ariel shakes her head.

"It's okay." Ariel slowly walks in his room. "You know Bobby always talked about you. He thought you would always be stuck in your
t-shirt and overall phase." Ariel says making Chloe laugh.

"Yeah he was right about that."

"Even when Bobby had no one. He still had you. You always managed to keep him in check." Ariel says sitting on Bobby's bed. Chloe lifts a brow. "Mom and Dad would get on to him all the time, he never listened. But if it came out of your mouth, he fixed his mistakes almost immediately....Well except for one." Ariel says looking down awkwardly. Chloe does the same. Oh

"Look Ariel, I just want to say that I'm sorry." Chloe says. Ariel gives her a weird look.

"Chloe, you have nothing to be sorry for. I am the one that's always ruining your life and messing things up. The truth is that I too have felt this giant hole in my heart since Bobby passed, and I've tried to fill it with things that just make the hole larger." Ariel twiddles her thumbs.

"I get it. He was your brother of course." Chloe says leaning on the door.

"What i'm trying to say is that I know we can't fix our friendship over night but I would like to start trying." Ariel says. Chloe nods. "So, friends?"

"Friends." Chloe smiles. Ariel gets up and hugs her. Her eyes widen.

"Oh I need to grab your dress!" Ariel runs and grabs a box. She pulls out a beautiful dress.
(pic in next chapter)

"Oh Ariel, it's beautiful. Thank you!" She says excitedly. Ariel nods.

"No problem." Some time passes and Chloe decides to head home and get some sleep.