FOURTEEN

《︎𝘈𝘶𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘳'𝘴 𝘗𝘖𝘝》︎

Ren had been sitting at his desk writing his speech for a few hours now. He huffed as he crumbled up another piece of paper. He turned and launched it at his trash can.

His aunt Lulu walks in and grins. "Hey. Was that a three-pointer or a two?" Ren shrugs.

"That was a no-pointer." He turns back to his desk. "Getting names on this petition is one thing, but trying to write this speech... I'm just having a hard time with it." Lulu nods.

"I saw you enlisted my daughters in your campaign." Lulu says holding up one of the flyers with stickers covering it.

"I'm sorry about that." Ren laughs.

"No need to apologize. I think this family could use a little activism." Lulu says walking over to Ren's bed to sit.

"What about Uncky Wes? He seems a little worried."

"Well. Wesley, he is a car salesman trying to
sell cars in the middle of a recession. So he's all about worry." Lulu says. He nods and his face drops a little."Why is this dance so important?"

Ren spins in his chair to face her. "When my dad left... I wasn't really surprised. You know? I never really felt like I could depend on the guy anyways. It was just me and Mom, you know? She was the strong one. And then she got sick, and it was my turn to be strong. I thought if I worked really hard, and listened to the doctors and did everything they told me to do, maybe we could turn it around. Maybe she'd get better. But she didn't. All that hard work, I couldn't change anything." Ren glances at the petition.

"But with this... I'm thinking I could do something. I could do something for myself this time, and maybe have a shot at making a change. You know?" Lulu nods.

Ren looks down. "Also, there's this girl that I really like, and she cares about this more than I do I'm sure." Lulu smirks.

"Can I see that petition, please?" Lulu says holding her hand out. Ren smiles and hands it to her.

"You got my vote, Ren McCormack." Lulu gets up and kisses Ren's head. "Your momma would be proud."

//The Next Day//

Chloe was heading over to the racetrack with Rusty and Ariel. Rusty had called Chloe early that morning saying that Ariel had to go give Chuck a talkin to, and she thought that she might need backup in case Ariel does something stupid.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Rusty whispers to Chloe as they watch Ariel approach Chuck's truck.

"Yes and No." Rusty quirks an eyebrow at her. Chloe sighs. "Yes, if she breaks up with this creep. No, if things go south." Rusty nods.

A few minutes go by. Ariel turns to look at Chuck. "Aren't you gonna say anything?" Chuck ignores her. "Look it wasn't what you think."

"Well, you ain't telling me anything I don't already know. I got eyes and ears. I know you went out clubbing with that Boston boy." Ariel rolls her eyes

"Yeah. Well, I thought I should tell you myself."

Chuck shakes his head. "Yeah. First you're into race car drivers, now you're into dancing gymnasts? You crack me up."

"I'm not interested in him." Ariel huffs.

"You know, I seen the way you've been looking at him. Just waiting for the right moment to dumb down, and wrap those skinny little legs around him." Chuck grabs Ariel's thigh making her jump back and push his arm.

"I'm so sick of you treating me like dirt!" Ariel spits. Chloe and Rusty's heads snap up when they see her jump out of the truck.

"Hey! Is that what I've been doing? Just treating you like another pit-row hussy, we screw on the weekends? I thought that's what you came here to be." Chloe's blood boils. She walks towards them. Rusty tries to yank her back.

"Clover!"

"I suggest you shut your mouth, Cranston." Chloe calmly yells.

Chuck turns to her. "Oh what do we have here? Ariel I didn't know you brought your slut squad with you."

Chloe grabs Ariel's arm. "We are leaving." Ariel nods and they start to walk away. Chuck yanks her back.

"You know what? Being a preacher's daughter, don't give you a free pass on acting like a slut." Ariel starts hitting Chuck. Chloe tries to grab her and pull her back. Chuck grabs Chloe and pushes her to the ground making her groan. Ariel gets out of Chuck's grasp.

"Ariel..." Chloe sat up slowly. "Leave." Ariel hesitantly nods and walks towards Rusty's car. Chuck turns towards Ariel.

"Yeah! You walk your ass back home to Daddy! I treated you decent! Better than you deserve!" Ariel ignores him and gets in Rusty's passenger seat. Chuck walks towards his truck. "I don't need this shit. I was about done with you anyway!" Chloe jumps up and grabs a crowbar. She walks towards Chuck's Truck

"You son of a bitch!" Chloe starts trying to bust his window.

"Stop! Stop! What are..." She starts busting his lights in. Rusty and Ariel gasp when Chuck starts walking to her.

"Crazy bitch!" Chuck comes up behind Chloe and grabs her. Rusty tries to run out to help her but Ariel holds her back.

"Don't touch me!" She kicks and screams. Chuck yanks the crowbar out of her hand and punches her in the face. Chloe cries out in pain as she hits the ground. Chuck gets in his truck and leaves. Ariel and Rusty rush out to get Chloe.

"W-What do we do?" Ariel whispers.

Rusty groans. "Call somebody!" Ariel nods. Rusty rushes to Chloe's side. "Oh Clover..Why would you do that?"

Chloe sobs. "I didn't want him to do it to her."

Ariel gets off the phone. "Mom said Roger and Dad are on their way to the church and they need us to meet them there." Chloe grabs Rusty's shoulder.

"Call Ren." She whispers. Rusty nods and they leave.