8

《︎𝘈𝘶𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘳'𝘴 𝘗𝘖𝘝》︎

"Why do you think you're above serving your penalty in Saturday School?"

"I don't think I'm above anyone, sir." Ren starts. "I was just unaware that-" Wes stands up.

"Hey, Eddie? Eddie? He has a job on Saturdays over at Andy's cotton gin." The judge shakes his head.

"Wes. Call me "Judge," would you? And take your hat off." Wes quickly nods and takes his baseball cap off.

"Ok, Judge Eddie. Could you show a little mercy here? He was playing his music too loud. About as loud as you used to play Lynyrd Skynyrd in that old Impala me and you used to roll in. Remember that... Judge?" Eddie huffs.

"You'll have Andy verify his employment?" The sheriff throws his hands up.

"Now hold on..." Wes cuts him off.

"Yes I will!" Wes yells. "Can I go back to the car lot now?"

"Sentence suspended." Wes and Ren head outside.

"Oh, man. Son, you're lucky. Not everyone's got this town on lockdown like I do." Ren huffs.

"Oh, yeah? Since you and the judge are so buddy-buddy, maybe you can have him explain this whole ban-on-dance thing to me. Whatever happened to separation of church and state?" Wes gives him a questioning look.

"What's church got to do with it?" Ren shrugs.

"It seems to have everything to do with everything around here. Let me ask you a question. If there's a football game Sunday and you want to buy a beer, can you?"

Wes shakes his head. "You can't buy beer on Sundays."

"And why not?" Ren asks.

He huffs."'Cause of church."

"You can in Boston, why not in Bomont?" They hop in the truck.

"Look. Sunday is God's day. If you want to drink beer on God's day, you need to buy it on beer's day, which is Saturday. It's right there in the Bible, if you don't believe me.Separation of God and beer. And if God said it, I believe it.That settles it! Now shut up." Ren shakes his head and laughs.

A little while later when Ren was working out at the Cotton Gin one of his coworkers tapped him.

"Hey, McCormack." Ren turns to him. He points down at the ground. He sees someone approaching so he leans over the rail.

"Hey, what's up... Ariel?" He thought it was somebody else so he was taken aback when he saw her.

She takes her sunglasses off and sighs loudly. "Chuck Cranston wants to see you at his daddy's racetrack tomorrow. Be there at two o'clock."

Ren's eyebrows knit together."Ok. What happens at two o'clock?"

Ariel shrugs. "Show up and find out."

"And what if I don't?"

She smirks."You're gonna miss all the fun."

"How come he sent you to tell me?"

She slides her sunglasses back on. "I volunteered." She then walks off, swaying her hips as she goes. Ren gives her a confused look. He takes his phone out and calls Willard.

"What's up man?" He says on the other end of the phone. His southern accent is as strong as ever.

Ren scratches his head. "Hey. Do you know why Chuck wants me to come to the racetrack tomorrow?"