SEVENTEEN

《︎𝘈𝘶𝘵𝘩𝘰𝘳'𝘴 𝘗𝘖𝘝》︎

Today was the day. The day that Ren McCormack would try to change Bomont history. All of the teenagers were anxious, ready to see if they could challenge the law. They want to win. This moment, right now, is all that matters. Willard, Chloe, and Woody just on time. Good thing they did because the building was packed out. As they were walking to their seats. Chloe got stopped by Roger who was heading up to his seat on the panel.

"Clover." She huffed and turned to face her dad. " I understand that you're here to show support, but please remember to be professional and take this seriously."

"Oh I will." Chloe nods. "As long as you guys do the same and play fair." Roger stays silent, he turns and makes his way back to the panel. Chloe heads back to her seat.

"So how do you think this is gonna end?" Woody whispers to Chloe and Willard.

"Well knowing our luck they will somehow blame us for something and have us thrown in the slammer." Chloe says sarcastically.

"Yeah and orange definitely doesn't suit this Georgia Bulldog." Willard says making the two laugh. Chloe looks up and sees Ren walking in with his family. They make eye contact and she waves him over. He comes and sits between Chloe and Willard.

"Wow it's packed." Ren whispers nervously.

"Hey now don't be nervous. You're gonna kill it." Ren turns to Chloe and smiles.

"Hopefully..." Ren whispers. Chloe's eyes widen.

"Oh hey look at this shirt I made." She pops her flannel open. Ren laughs.

"Dance your butt off." He reads.

"Yeah I was gonna put "Dance your A-word off." But then I realized that the whole congregation was gonna be here." Chloe says looking around. Willard taps Ren's shoulder.

"Hey. What's your secret plan? You gonna get up there and boogie?" Willard smirks.

"Yeah, I wish it were that easy." Ren scoffs.

Roger hits a wooden pad with his gavel, getting everyone's attention. "This meeting will now come to order. But, before we begin, I would like to remind all you kids that we are conducting an official meeting. Official town business. That means no disturbances will be tolerated." Ren's jaw clenches.

"The floor is now open." The room goes silent. Chloe whispers to Ren.

"It's now or never."Ren nods and slowly stands up, making everyone look to him.

"My name is Ren McCormack. And I want to move, on behalf of most of the senior class of Bomont High, that the law against public dancing within the town limits of Bomont be abolished." The teens all start to cheer. Even some of the adults.

Roger uses his gavel trying to calm the crowd. "You will not be warned again."

Shaw lifts his hand."Roger, if I may address Mr. McCormack on this matter." Roger nods at Shaw.

"Please do." Shaw turns back to Ren.

"Ren, besides the liquor, and the drugs and the lewd behavior that seems to always accompany these types of unsupervised events, the thing that really distresses me the most, more than any of that, is the spiritual corruption." Ren crosses his arms over his chest. "These dances, this music, it does distort young people's attitudes. You might find it funny, but I firmly believe that dancing can be destructive. And celebrating certain types of music can be destructive. And I think you're going to find that most of the people in this community are going to agree with me." All of the adults start to clap. Chloe rolls her eyes.