Chapter 15: Tension

"Hey Ginny. You're a sight for sore eyes," Sam commented as Ginny approached us outside the great hall. I was looking at the article but glanced up in time to catch Ginny shooting the paper a look of disgust.

"What's the matter?"

"I take it you haven't read the article?" Ginny responded, turning to Sam. This was a true statement, though I had been quoting portions to her as we left the table.

"I didn't realize your brother was such a snob," I commented, hitting the nail on the head. Ginny shook her head again in disgust while I handed the article to Sam.

"Look on here," I pointed to a particularly obnoxious quote from Percy Weasley cited in the paper. "And to think that I knew him back in first year as a prefect," I added turning to Ginny.

"Mum and Dad haven't talked to him since he walked out this summer. It's a sore subject."

"I didn't realize he walked out," I sympathized. Ginny waved my worry aside as Sam looked up from the paper with a sneer.

"This is an excellent new phase in the minister's plan to get a grip of the "falling standards" at Hogwarts if I do say so myself... Sounds like an utter kiss ass if you ask me," Sam summarized as she closed the paper.

"No one asked Sam," I warned but Ginny chuckled dryly to Sam's commentary.

"You should hear what Fred and George have been saying. To put it nicely they believe his down hill started the moment he got that Prefect badge but Bill thinks otherwise. I don't know though."

"Hmm," Sam mused, in a no-good tone. "Sounds like another prefect we know." I felt her gaze and scoffed before taking the paper back.

"Come on, we'll be late for Herbology. I'll see you later at Charms, Ginny."

She waved as we left and the moment we turned the corner, I backhanded Sam with the newspaper.

"What was that for?" she protested as she moved out of my reach.

"Seriously?" I quipped back. "Do you think I've told anyone but you about Draco? No! Let's keep it that way. Please."

Sam sighed, clearly in disagreement but nodded along anyway.

"If that's what you want to do..."

Ella waved to us as we arrived and we joined her before the conversation once again returned to the article.

"I expected her to be in Herbology so I'm relieved she's absent at least for the moment," Ella said in a hushed voice as Professor Sprout called the class to order.

"We'll be lucky if we catch sight of her at all outside dark arts," Sam countered as she took a pair of mittens from a basket being passed down. I took the basket next and retrieved my own pair.

"Fair point. Think of the number of classes each teacher hosts. She could be at any class level," Ella reasoned as she took the basket from me.

"Well let's hope your words ring true. Last thing I need is to see her more than I already do," I concluded in a dismal tone that caught Ella's attention.

"Still in a mood, Ava? What's been going on?"

"Nothing," I mused, opening my textbook.

"It doesn't have to do with that chat with Malfoy last class, does it? You could tell me, you know," Ella added kindly. Sam looked once my way before taking out her own book out while I tensed a smile and shook my head Ella's way.

"No. He was just being obnoxious. Same old routine. I've just been having bad period cramps is all."

Taking that as her hint, Ella looked away and proceeded to pass the basket on while I returned to my book.