Chapter 47: Let's be Honest

"You've got to be kidding me," I exclaimed, pushing him off. I could barely see him in the dark under the alcove. But I knew it was him. And I knew he was close. "What? You mean to tell me you've been waiting under here this whole time waiting for me to show up."

"I'm not that dramatic. It doesn't take much to pay off the portrait of those scientists in the common room to keep an eye out on the fifth corridor. They told me you were coming. Not before you had a little chat with Potter."

"And what about it?" I hissed. "If we're going to talk about this tonight, let's get it all out now, shall we? Do you want to know what I said to Harry?"

"Not especially. I would have thought you would have at least avoided him for me, but it seems you can't even do that much."

"I won't slight Harry when's he's been such a good teacher."

"But why? Why would you lie to participate in such waste of time? You knew the risks. How it looks-"

"Now I do. And it did little help to have you scare me like that earlier about expulsion." He rolled his eyes and stepped back before regarding me in a measured way.

"I was trying to help you. A simple thank you could have been appreciated."

"A thank you?" I retaliated. "Oh yes, because as you dragged me to the one witch how truly belongs in Azkaban, the one thing I should have had on my mind is to tell you thank you!" I turned my back on him and released a low sigh before adding in an undertone. "And then there was that stupid fear in my chest about getting expelled..."

"But you didn't," Draco pointed out, and I felt him step closer so that I could feel the warmth of his breath on my neck. I turned slowly around saw I was right. "You listened to me, didn't you?"

"Don't flatter yourself," I whispered back. "I know how to name drop as well as any blue blood. It was easy."

"And yet you're still willing to listen to me," He added in a similar edge. I stepped back from him but felt that I was by the wall.

Oh brilliant, not again.

"What more is there to say? It's not like this should be surprising to you," I said in finality. I didn't want to open another can of worms with him. My hand hurt and I was exhausted. I just wanted to go to bed.

"Actually," he said, with a line of tension. " I thought you were beginning to figure it out." He was looking away from me as he said it. It wasn't often to have Draco admit faults like that. "But you're still just naïve."

"Just because I don't share the same views as you does not make me naïve." Those grey eyes of his snapped back on me in an instant and I saw pure anger ranging through.

"You don't know the first thing about what's happening around us, do you?" He snapped. He took a step closer to me. "You just read what's in that French rag to feel clever-"

"I read Le monde because at least it's not blanket cover propaganda of Fudge's ego!"

"But you still don't seem to get what's happening. What our families are doing-- how this world really is? You're just playing in a fantasy. And it's my fault for letting you go on in it for this long. I should have told you earlier..."

"Told me what?" I snapped, pushing myself off the wall and coming at him. "That your daddy hates Dumbledore for kicking him off the Hogwarts's board or was it from past grievances of their past dealings when You-Know-Who was first in power? Or maybe," I lingered, standing up to my fullest so that I felt like I was meeting him eye to eye. "It's about your family's self-prejudice for pure-bloods. Do you want to get into that lovely topic about your Aunt who just escaped Azkaban?"