Chapter 21: Rumors in Troves

My first mistake was not running after Ella that afternoon. It's not like Draco wouldn't have let me go in the end. He held me back because it would have looked bad running after Ella.

All that stupid pretentiousness over not looking the fool is what fuels Draco.

My second mistake was thinking I could get to Ginny about this before Ella. But one look at Ginny as Sam and I walked into Magical Creatures the next day made it clear I was too late. After a cold stare from her direction, Ginny didn't look my way for the rest of lesson, let alone join us for the group element of class.

"Well there goes that plan," Sam said idly, as we began processing different types of unicorn hairs in piles. I brushed my hand under my nose but made no comment. Sam had been the one to warn me about holding back on the news.

"You should have just gone out to find Ginny last night. Ella probably told her at dinner."

"Great Sam. It's not like I can bloody go back to last night and try again."

I felt Sam's eyes on me but I kept my nose down and continued braiding Unicorn hair in silence.

My next class was worse than Magical Creatures. It was charms with the Hufflepuffs and Gryffindors. And Sam had potions, leaving me to find a spot by a lonely Hufflepuff on the opposite side of the room. Ginny and Ella sat together and didn't look once my way. Go figure.

Just when I thought my day couldn't get any worse, an announcement was placed on the common room boards during lunch with a special declaration from Professor Umbridge.

BY ORDER OF THE HIGH INQUISITOR OF HOGWARTS

Educational Decree Number 24

All students' organizations, societies, teams, groups and clubs are henceforth disbanded. All are hereby defined as a regular meeting of three or more students. Permission to re-form may be sought from the High Inquisitor (Professor Umbridge). No student Organization, society, team, group or club may exist without the knowledge and approval of the High Inquisitor. Any students found to have formed or belong to such a meeting not following an approval will be expelled.

Signed: Dolores Jane Umbridge, High Inquisitor

"That's interesting," My brother said as he stopped short by my shoulder to scan the decree. "I suppose someone tattled."

"Great," I sighed in defeat. "Guess that's the end of that."

"Listen to you," My brother mused, border lining a teasing façade. "When did you become such a negative Nancy?"

"Negative Nancy? Who are you, Gram?"

Gram, also known as our American grandmother, was someone I had never met, given to the fact that she had died of a heart attack in her early seventies when I was nothing but a twinkle in my father's eye.

Theo had also not met her, leading to some creativity on both of our parts to come up with an idea of what she was like. My father never talked about his original family, and my Uncle Agilbert on the rare occasions when he came to call, always seemed wistful and dissatisfied when thinking back to his mother. Like he was tasting something bitter in those memories.

My other two brothers were too little to remember her well leading us to the last possible source.

My mother. Her take on how she viewed her mother-in-law was both hilarious and stereotypical for a mother-in-law and daughter-in-law's relationship. Though seeing as, we had little to go by, it was a bit troubling to detangle my mother's over exaggeration with the real facts.