Chapter 68: Schemes and Counter Schemes

I spotted Hermione and Ron coming from the opposite direction when I neared my compartment and watched as Hermione's face tense at the sight of me while Ron, not looking ahead of himself, barreled right into Hermione's frame.

"Watch it, Hermione! What are you doing?"

But rather than Hermione answer verbally, she just bolted at me, tackling me into a bear hug and a face full of curly hair.

"Thank goodness you're safe! With what Fred and George told us—" We broke apart and I fixated on her face before looking over her shoulder at Ron who looked like he was trying in earnest to swallow something bitter without comment.

We all banked to the side to let the two Hogwarts students passed before Ron walked a step closer and I rounded on them like a hound to a bone.

"Have they been able to contact Theo?"

"Yeah," Ron said, drawing near as Hermione gripped my arm like a lifeline. "But what Fred and George are trying to do is setting Mum and Dad off. What your brother could potentially be is dangerous-"

"She knows that, Ronald," Hermione snapped, turning on him with a stink eye. "But Molly thinks it's right to try to help him," she went on, looking back to me. "Which means we may be able to get your brother out after all. Once he's back in the country, that is."

"Where did he say he was?" I asked, leaning against the wall as group of 2nd or 3rd years walked past. Hermione waited until they had left before glancing my way again.

"It sounds like he's in giant territory but Fred and George aren't sure."

"My dad is going to bring this up with the others from the order soon," Ron added, quietly. "But to do that, he thinks Dumbledore should know first."

"But that shouldn't be a problem," Hermione added, misreading my expression as I drew back from them. My hand still remaining in my pocket paused on Dumbledore's letter; the nail of my index finger traced down the letter edge before I drew out my hand and clasped them together in front of me.

"Can you guys help keep me updated on this? But only through word of mouth. I don't know how, but I think my parents are keeping a check on my owls. They have been all summer anyway, and I don't want to risk it here either. Spread the word to your family and friends. Just in case."

They followed me back to the compartment as Hermione asked me how my Potion's OWL came out and what my plans were for my future potions classes.

"I'm sure you can balance an upper level potions class with OWLS for the others. It'll just take a lot of dedication with your studying," Hermione offered as I opened the compartment, revealing it just how I left it except now Oliver was lounging on his back while Alice gently rubbed his tummy with one lazy hand, her eyes still fixated on the novel in her lap.

There had to be catnip running through the Spencer sisters' blood. There was no other way for my cat to be behaving the way he was.

As if case in point, as I walked by I tried to pet his tummy only for him to jump up and bound off the chair and under Neville's feet.

"Hello Neville,," Hermione said, walking in with Ron behind her. Alice remained quiet as she peered over at the new people coming, but said nothing as she returned to her book.

Sam returned an hour or so later, ready to change into her uniform like the rest of us, but Harry  never came back.

"Blaise was there, as was Hermione," Sam brought up as we walked down the hall towards the girl lavatories to change.