Chapter 73: Moving Pieces

Ava's brain had taken a back seat as her stomach and more importantly, it's grumbling, led her to the great hall for dinner.

The Slytherin table was packed, but I managed to find a space between a group of third year boys who were in the midst of talking about the latest quidditch try-out results.

"Zabini was always going to come back to play Chaser, as was Nott. But to make Vaisey captain?" The one said to the other. The third lowered his glass.

"That's because Malfoy bowed out of the role."

I paused for the briefest of moments before grabbing my plate and scooping a helping of potatoes. The boys next to me were reacting with disgust at the news.

"There's no way Malfoy was offered captain," one said reluctantly. "He would have accepted it if it was offered to him."

"But he didn't and supposedly Harper is taking up seeker now that Malfoy has been sick for the last two tryout sessions."

"Not Harper..." the one groaned. "He can't catch a bird if it flew at his face."

"Why wouldn't Urquhart just let Malfoy try out on his own? He's the best seeker on our team."

"Probably because Urquhart doesn't want competition. And Malfoy is competition for him. You know how it is—"

Politics. Even for a quidditch team held a certain resonance to it.

Draco hadn't given me a single ounce of attention since the train and I didn't go out of my way to find it. Even if there were days where I wanted him to look at me.

But this was news. Yes, I had anticipated Draco to act off since his father was in Azkaban, but so far as to drop out of quidditch?

Especially when he had the chance to make captain?

He wouldn't turn away from a chance like that unless there was something better to risk his time for.

I turned and grabbed Sam's plate and began to fill it as I listened to those same boys stirr the conversation onto how a centaur was supposed to teach them divination this year.

As entertaining as the topic was, I lost interest in their commentary as I spotted Sam enter the Great Hall.

"You're looking at the next baseless Ministry employee," Sam stated as she swung a leg over the dinning bench. I rose a brow.

"Of all careers, you chose noncommitted?" Sam cast me a glance before digging into her beans with glee.

"You left our head of house in a fine mood," Sam said between gulps. "I wanted to get in and out as fast as I could. Besides," she added after a drink from her cup. "It's not like this cements my career or anything."

"Didn't Ella say these lists get sent to the Ministry for career day?" I asked through a lidded gaze at my friend. Sam gave a shrug that showed how little she cared.

"My lack of care for my future employment may bite me, but for right now all I care about is what's directly in front of me."

"Lackluster protein?" I quipped. Sam pointed her fork at me.

"Temperamental friendship more like."

I released a snicker and grabbed the passing tea kettle that was soaring over the table for touch ups. I filled my cup gingerly before releasing it to the wind. It waddled along half a jump before being caught by Blaise. We made eye contact briefly before I snapped back to Sam. She was eyeing me warily.

"Who knew being a busy body could erode one's mind in a matter of years."

"Hey," I warned. "I'm simply watching. I still don't trust that group."