Chapter 16: Electric

For the first time in almost a week I made eye contact with those grey eyes from across the library. He had been sitting with his friends in a huddle. Most of them were oblivious to their school work but I knew him. He had been studying adamantly until he saw me walk in. And for whatever reason, he decided to take his eyes off his work and look at me.

The fact that he'd take his gaze off his work to watch me should have been my first sign of what was to come. I mean, after the fight before potions that one class, having him look at me like that was jarring. But not in the way that made a person scared. Nervous, yes. But not scared.

I followed Sam to our seats at an empty table with Ginny and Ella. But as I dropped my things by my chair, the hair at the back of my neck prickled up, sensing those eyes on me still. It was just a figment of my imagination. There was no way he was still looking at me. That would be pathetic of him and if there was one thing I knew about Draco Malfoy, he was not one to act pathetic over the likes of a girl. Especially one who chewed him out as badly as I did.

But still, as I sat down and opened my potions textbook for the new essay I was to write, my mind went elsewhere.

Come on Ava. You're better than this. Don't let him control your thoughts.

Only my nights were pegged with thoughts of him. Even as I walked around the common room these past few days, I felt proud of my ability to keep my gaze off him. Because at least then I felt like I was in control of my emotions and of what he got to see of me. Of course, he has done the same toward me in his own way. He stopped walking me to potions and eye contact was no longer a thing. Until today. For some odd reason.

I was completely thrown off my groove and that made me nervous. Or was it excitement?

No, I had to be nervous. Being excited made no sense.

I stood up abruptly, cutting my thoughts short and sending my friends to look up from their school work.

"You okay?" Ginny asked, frowning up at me.

"I-" I begun. Though I was unsure myself as to why I had stood up. "I need to get a book for my essay." I declared more to myself than to them.

"Then you better go get it then and stop being dramatic," Sam translated, cutting the other's concern short. Ella smiled Sam's way while Ginny chuckled before returning to her work.

"Always so straight forward, aren't you Sam?" Ella cooed back defiantly. Sam winked her way before turning back to me.

"What are you doing? Go get that book."

Her words sounded like an order. Like she knew what I was really up to but that made no sense. Even I didn't know what I was doing. Did I really need a book for potions? I guess if I wanted an O for the next potion's assignment an outside source could help. Maybe then I could beat Draco.

Draco. He was right behind me. Was I still feeling his gaze on my back? I wasn't sure. I had been standing this long in my thoughts, I wasn't sure of anything anymore.

"Ava?" Ella voiced, stirring me from my thoughts. I looked to her and saw her face drawn up in worry. "Are you okay?" Now Sam was looking up with that small hint of a frown. Not something others would notice, but I knew Sam.

"Yeah, I'm okay. Sorry, just tired. I'll be back."

Feeling defiant, I turned away from the table and started for the bookshelves with no real destination in mind. I had made it past the usual sections for potions course work when I realized I really was clueless as to what to do. But then I heard it.