Chapter 9: Passwords and Potions

"Yes, Professor?" I asked as innocently as I dared.

Part of me figured that should I have done something wrong, it was always best that I play the innocent doe-eyed damsel. Grand'mère taught me that in compromising situations one should either play the damsel or the fool. Whichever fit your fancy. And I was no fool.

Yet as I looked at my head of house, a sense of guilt came piling on me. What did I do? Was it something I said? Are the rules against gossiping about Voldemort? Or maybe he heard me slandering our new troll in pink.

"I received an owl from your advisor at Beauxbatons," He explained in a cool voice, dropping all intimidating factor he held prior.

"Professeur Beaupré?" I said automatically, flipping to French. What did she want? Snape ignored my French pronunciation and continued.

"She explained that while at Beauxbatons, you were given further instruction in potions then those of fourth year Hogwarts students. Is this true?" Understanding where this was going, I slowly nodded.

"I was in two potions classes last year. One for my year and another as an elective." Snape gave a passive nod as he contemplated something. His dark eyes finally landed on me and gave me a once over, considering me.

After all, this probably didn't happen all that often at Hogwarts. Everything here was very to the book. Unless you were Harry Potter that was.

"I've received a copy of the syllabus for both of your classes from last year. What you say seems to ring some truth, however, I will want to see physical proof before I make any changes. You will come to my office tomorrow at 6am to configure my exam for you."

"6am?" I squeaked in a whine. I understood waking up at 6am as an early bird, but being ready for an exam that would determine if I would surpass my prowess in potions was a lot for a sleepy head. Even with my talents in the subject.

Snape rose a brow in opposition.

"Too early for you? I could always keep you with your year, having to go over potions that are far below your skill level." My mind was set at his words, and it must have shown through the look I gave him, as Snape gave an approving nod before turning back for the stairs. He left me standing in the hall, calculating what this all meant.

I hadn't gone over my old potions from last year since my last finals. My mind would be empty of the right amounts, measuring, and ingredients. How was I to familiarize myself with such a test ahead of me in the morning?

I just had to bite the bullet and try.

My mind made up, I turned for the common room, only to find that I had yet to hear the common room password.

"Oh this is damn well great."

"Cursing? I should give you a detention for that." I rounded on Pansy Parkinson as she walked along on her own, having just descended the stairs. She looked as happy to see me as I her.

"Oh perfect. A prefect here to save the day," I responded with little adieu. Pansy scoffed before stopping at my side, looking me up and down.

"You don't look nearly as good in these robes. Must feel like such a downgrade to you."

"Not quite. Though it warms my heart to hear you find me attractive in my Beauxbatons blue. Have something you wish to lay off your chest, Pansy?" Pansy's eyes narrowed in annoyance but before she could say another word, more voices were heard from the stairs, revealing Draco and Nott by his side with Crabbe and Goyle following a few steps behind. Nott spotted me first and grinned openly before nudging Draco to look up.