Chapter 32: Christmas in Paris

The next few days were spent completely ignoring that such an event ever occurred.  We spent one day walking the Christmas markets at Les Halles, drinking mulled wine and storing away strawberry tarts and raspberry macarons. Another day we walked down the Place Vendôme drinking the famous Angelina's hot chocolate. We continued over to the department stores on Avenue Haussmann  while staring at storefronts and their décor.

"Ever been into a Tiffany's before?" Célia asked my mother and I as we paused in front of a tiffany blue horse-drawn carriage filled with brightly colored boxes and silk ribbon.

"Not yet," I reported indifferently. It looked like just another store to me however, my mother nodded along with a growing smile.

"It's a magical place for no-majs, I must say."

"So I've heard!" Célia countered with an identical smile.

After a circle around the store fronts we circled back to join the boys who were ice skating while some of the mother's watched from the windows of a warm café, eating French onion soup.

On Christmas Eve, my siblings, Célia and I took a trip to the wizarding market in the heart of Paris at the junction of the Boulevard Voltaire and Rue Richer. After stepping into the wall with the help of the statue man's outreached hand, I found myself amongst a large Parisian square filled with cafes' and shop fronts decorated in a classic wizarding fashion. It was not nearly as crowded in the later hour of the afternoon toward evening.

Gold stars twinkled above storefronts and ever-moving ribbon twirled around the wooden posts as the evening started to hang in the streets. A children's train chugged around the side of a children's toy store, and disappearing head first into the store wall.

Bells rang as wooden stalls erupted off one side of the square covered in a lush snow. The smells of fresh food sprung around me, keeping me warm inside against the wind-chill and snow. 

"I'm regretting coming here," Ed said warily after a glance around the square. "I've seen too many street venders in the past few days. I just want to go home."

"Just push those recluse thoughts from your head a little while longer, Ed," Damion advised pushing his brother forward. "Trust me, it's better than being at Grand'mère's house right now."

"You don't think they're talking about Annette, do you?" Theo asked curiously to his brother but it was Célia who answered.

"No doubt about it. My mother doesn't do well with forced silences over drama of that variety for long."

"Our parents are outright pros at this point," I replied, gaining a look from Damion.

"What? It's not like Célia doesn't know."

"No, actually I do not," she replied to my surprise. "I try to avoid the drama that spills from my mother's mouth." She took out a pack of her cigarettes and took one before offering the box my way.

"Smart of you," Ed admitted while Theo stopped short in front of him at the sight of moving tin soldiers on a stand and a sign broadcasting magically run trains for all ages.

"Seriously? How old are you Theo?" Ed questioned as his brother bounded up to the seller.

"Old enough to buy whatever I want so butt out!"

"You know some of us spend our money on presents for other people, Theo," I inclined with sibling superiority which he ignored. Celia lit her cigarette and then mine with her wand and then released a deep exhale of smoke into the air. I followed suit and felt the familiar warmth that cigarettes gave me. It made me feel homesick for Beauxbatons once again.