Chapter 49: Easy Pray

I wasn't worried about Sam and the hissy fit she had at breakfast. We all were having a crappy day and maybe I could have dialed back on asking such a sensitive question until we were alone.

But that didn't mean I was happy to eat the rest of breakfast alone.

As for the rest of the day, it was a mixed bag of good and bad. The good being the most surprising of the lot.

While many people found what happened to the D.A. to be a warning to others to not cross Umbridge, others hated that witch enough to take steps to screw her.

Especially on her first day as Headmistress.

The rumors of chaos coming started when news broke that our new headmistress couldn't get into Dumbledore's old office.

"Supposedly it got locked shut, and even the old password won't work for her," Ella explained, after I met up with her outside of charms. Ginny was running behind and so we had time to kill before class started. We walked into the classroom to find the usual chaos of students getting to their seats.

"She must have hated that. You're nothing without the benefits of status," I commented with a smirk as I watched a fourth year Hufflepuff accidently knock over a stack of books onto Flitwick.

"She was right sour about it, as the fat friar said. Filtch has been at her beck and call and couldn't get the thing open either. None of the teachers are exactly eager to help-"

That does not surprise me," I commented as I dropped my bag onto my seat. "Almost every teacher favored Dumbledore to her and the rest are too careful to admit it in public. In case Dumbledore comes back, I suspect."

"Oh he'll be back," Ella said with a confident nod. I watched as she fidgeted with the edge of her pad until it was in line with her quill on the desk. "I don't know how, but he will."

Ginny came in late, looking just as tired as the rest of us. But there was a mischievous alertness to her that reminded me of her brothers. Thankfully, she was more than willing to enlighten us on said news the moment charms let out.

"Fireworks. Lots of them. All over the school grounds in a matter of hours from what I've been told."

"By who?" Ella instigated with a wave of her brow. Ginny gave Ella a knowing look. "Oh come on, don't be daft. Who do you think owns mischievous fireworks at this school?"

"One of our brothers I would assume," I replied with a smile. Ginny winked my way while Ella giggled excitedly.

"If it's the twins, things will get gloriously hectic."

"Oh, so if Theo bought fancy fireworks, things would be less hectic?" I argued in Ella's direction.

"No," she said back straight. "There would just be more fires around the grounds."

"Nice."

I saw Sam again as I made my way up to Umbridge's class. We eyed each other warily at first but I sat next to her and it didn't take long after that for our usual chatter to return. It was like siblings asking about grabbing food after a massive fight. Things just tend to solve themselves.

"Did you hear what Ginny's brothers are planning sometime today?" I asked in a lower tone as I watched a group of students walk past us.

"Please tell me it relates to this crow."

"Absolutely," I said slyly as Umbridge made an appearance from the top of the stairs to her office. "Something about chaotic fireworks."

"I hope it burns her in that ginormous ass of hers."