Chapter 53: Soda Bombs

Annabeth

            “This is a terrible idea,” Annabeth stated. Beside her, Leo grinned.

            “It’s a great idea!” Leo cheered. “It’s foolproof. Admit it, Annie-Beth, you’re jealous of my awesome plan because you didn’t think of it first.” Annabeth glared at Leo. It was a really terrible plan. Unfortunately, at the moment, they didn’t have anything better, so they were stuck with it.

            “Just shut up and stay quiet while we wait.” She knew that was impossible for Leo, however, so she didn’t keep her hopes up. Thankfully, a minute later, Frank and Hazel returned, dragging two unconscious soldiers behind them with full armor on.

            Annabeth immediately began taking it off of the unconscious bodies and onto her own. It was a little too big and clunky, but it was just a disguise. It would have to do. Leo did the same, the armor he put on about three sizes too big for his thin body. Frank snickered.

            “Are you guys ready?” Hazel questioned. “Because we need to get going. It looks like something big is happening.”

            Annabeth nodded. “I’m ready. Don’t worry, we’ll go as fast as possible. Ready, Leo?”
            Leo tripped over his feet. “I suppose. Remind me again why I have to go with you instead of someone else?” Annabeth rolled her eyes. They already went over it twenty times. Leave it to Leo to still be confused.

            “Just don’t talk, don’t do anything stupid, and stay next to me!” Annabeth ordered, hissing it between her teeth like a snake.

            “Alright, alright!” Leo grunted. “Let’s get going.” So they set off, bringing their helmets down as they approached closer to the city. Annabeth glanced over at Leo. She couldn’t even tell there was a wild, teenage demigod in there. Maybe this plan would work somehow. Maybe.

            They approached the city. The guards, in matching uniforms, stood in a barrier around the city like a human wall. The question was: How could they squeeze in without being noticed?

            What exactly did the armor look like? It was bronze, almost gold. The armor covered almost their entire bodies, only mouths and eyes showing slightly. It was stiff, heavy, and extremely uncomfortable to wear. It made you feel like a walking robot.

            They approached the nearest line of guards. Annabeth was curious as to who they were and why they would agree to work for Zeus in the first place. They didn’t look like monsters at all. They almost looked...familiar.

            Suddenly, Leo cleared his throat. “Um, excuse me,” Leo grunted deeply. “We need to get past. I am in the need of a ham sandwich.” Annabeth almost slapped him right then.

            To her surprise, two of the guards opened a spot for them to walk through. Now she was really confused. Leo strode through the two guards like he owned the place, however, with a smug smile on his face. Annabeth followed him angrily. Just as she was passing through, a hand fell on her arm. She turned. A familiar pair of grey eyes.

            “Malcolm?!” She whispered harshly, surprise etched in her features. “Is that you?” Leo stopped, just as surprised.

            “Of course,” He whispered back. “You think a regular guard would let someone get past for a ham sandwich? Don’t be stupid. If you’re going in there, be careful. It’s dangerous.”