Chapter 36: Fireworks Keep The Monsters Away

Percy

            When Percy wakes up after the fight against Jason...

            "Blue pancakes...no--, not r..ed...food colorin'," Percy muttered. His eyes remained closed, and his body was half asleep. He was having an strange nightmare that his mom dyed his pancakes red on accident. It was much scarier than it sounded.

            Unhappily, Percy opened his eyes. Two beautiful girls stood above him, but he knew better than to think they were his hot saviors. Whenever two gorgeous girls were talking to him or flirting with him in a dangerous situation, he knew that they were always Empousa. (Besides for that one time with the pizza deliver girl when he looked like an idiot trying to push his sword through her since it didn't have any effect on mortals).

            "Hi, handsome," One of the Empousa greeted him with a high pitched giggle escaping from her mouth. Her hand traced the slight stubble on Percy's jaw line.

            Shuddering, he tried to not let the trance get to his head too much. If he did, their first kiss could turn into a bite. An Empousa trying to kiss you was like a vampire trying to suck your blood. It seems good at first, but then you die.

            "Hi, ugly," Percy snorted. His mind lingered to his girlfriend, Annabeth, who he already missed. Being alone like this made him worried that something might have happened to her. After almost fourteen days out of Tartarus, Percy still hated the thought of them being separated from each other.

            The Empousa's hissed at Percy and jumped on him. They tried to pin his wrists down to the ground, but he was able to yank his wrist upwards and send one of them flying. Before anything else could happen, he dug for his Riptide. You could imagine that he was more than surprised to not find it there.

            Suddenly, the Empousa slammed into him with true form showing. He landed on the ground with the breath knocked out of him. As he regained it, Percy wondered where his sword was and how he could defeat the Empousa without it. Sure, he could throw punches and kicks, but it would only hold them off for so long. He needed something to deliver the final blow. Or he could just run for it. That might be the best option, he thought.

            So, acting like a true hero (note the sarcasm) he ran for his life in the darkness. This darkness wasn't nearly as advanced at Tartarus but still made him feel insecure. He was afraid that something would happen, and he would be back in that horrible place. Chills ran up and down his arms and legs at the thought of it.

            Just when Percy thought it couldn't get any worse, he tripped on something and started to fall through the air. The wind blew around him. He squeezed his eyes shut, trying to block out the memories of Tartarus that were threatening to push through. His eyes opened again just in time to see that he was landing. This time, there was no water underneath him. In some sense, he was glad that there wasn't or it would have been even more like Tartarus than he thought.

            For some miraculous reason, he ended up landing softly--well, as softly as possible for the dirt ground. To his surprise, no bones were broken; his body only ached. It must not have been that far of a fall.

            At least he was safe from the Empousa at the moment. Now, he had to try and find his friends with no weapon to protect him. That would be bundles of fun.