Chapter 17: The Monster [AKA, My Future Mother In Law]

Percy

            Percy and Annabeth had been spending as much time together as possible. They'd been separated so many times, and they would be separated again for the 'tests'. Percy was nervous for those. The physical one he was pretty sure he could handle, but the other two...Percy wasn't sure on.

            Annabeth and Percy had came out of Annabeth's room after talking about the Blood of Olympus. Percy was about ready to fail those tests on purpose. He couldn't do that to his friends, though. He needed for them to be safe.

            Percy gripped Annabeth's hand as they made their way out to Leo, the only other remaining demigod on the ship at the moment. He was sitting lazily on the couch and browsing through channels on the television.

            "Pretty quiet around here, eh?" Leo mentioned as the two demigods leaned against the back of the couch together. Percy was surprised he knew they were in there. After all, Leo's eyes hadn't left the television.

            Annabeth nodded. "I think I'm going to go and explore town. You in, Percy?" Percy couldn't help but notice Annabeth didn't use her old nickname for him as much as usual. It was a weird change, and Percy wasn't sure how he felt about it.

            "Yeah, I'm coming." Percy agreed. "We'll be back in an hour or so. Don't do anything stupid while we're gone." Leo rolled his eyes at Percy and waved the two lovebirds off. Percy and Annabeth exited the ship and headed for the town.

            "So what exactly are we doing?" Percy wondered. He may be a little slow, but he didn't think that anything was going on.

            "Was does it look like we're doing?" Annabeth laughed. "We're walking around Athens before the end of the world. Might as well enjoy it, right?" Percy raised an eyebrow at her skeptically.

            "Something's wrong. You're too happy. Let's go grab something to drink." Percy pulled her into a nearby cafe. The bell hung over the doorway went off as the door swung open and then closed again. Percy ushered Annabeth into a seat and bought two coffee drinks for each of them.

            He handed her one, and then looked at her as she sipped on it. "What's going on, Annabeth? I don't understand what the matter is." Annabeth put down her drink, keeping her hand placed on the table firmly.

            "I just...the prophecy," Annabeth began. "It's really getting to me, and now with The Blood of Olympus to deal with..." Percy placed his hand on top of hers and squeezed it gently.

            "It will all be okay," Percy whispered. "You know, if something's bugging you then you can always just talk to me about it. What's wrong with the prophecy?"

            "Percy, I really--" The glass on the wide window along the wall of the cafe suddenly broke open. The impact threw Percy and Annabeth to the ground. They held each other as glass shards rained down on them. Percy could feel himself getting covered in numerous cuts and scrapes.

            It was worse than any monster Percy had ever faced. It was so evil, so awful, so insane! Percy had to shield his eyes at the sight.

            "Perseus, I can hear your thoughts," Athena reminded him. Percy's face turned pink and he looked away from her. She was a splitting image of Annabeth besides for her black hair. Percy and Annabeth kneeled down.

            "Annabeth, my dear, you may rise." Athena smiled. Percy frowned at her and Athena rolled her eyes at him. "Fine, the sea scum may rise, as well." Percy stood up, brushing off his jeans.