Chapter 35: Army of Angry Tuna

Jason

            A splitting headache woke Jason up. He groaned, head throbbing and ears ringing violently. He remembered summoning a lightning bolt, then Annabeth must have knocked him unconscious. Where was he now?
            He definitely was no longer in the arena. The room was crepuscular and inky. Only two single torches on opposite sides of the walls provided the light source. All Jason knew was that he was in a cave. Most likely prisoner of Gaea, or should he say the newest solider in her army. He couldn't betray everyone, though. He wouldn't help Gaea.

            Jason searched around the cave for signs of his friends. After awhile of stumbling around over rocks, he felt a small door-like passage that looked like it was for dogs. Reluctantly, Jason squeezed into it like a woman in a corset. He knew there would be no turning back, for it was much too tight to turn around in. He continued on, worming his way through the constricted tunnel.

            Even though he wasn't claustrophobic, it was still uncomfortable to be compacted so tightly. He couldn't even crawl because it was so cramped in there. At least he was free. Maybe he could help the others escape. That is, if he could ever find them.

            When it felt like there would never be an end, Jason saw a speck of light just around the corner. Ignoring the inexorable tunnel, he squirmed faster along the pathway. Jason only hoped it wouldn't lead him to a giant pack of monsters at dinner time.

            Finally, Jason made it out into a different room. It was empty besides for three doors. He headed for the one on the right. He had a gut feeling he should go through that one. Naturally, he listened. He learned to trust his instinct more as the quest went on. So Jason jiggled the handle. It was unlocked. The heavy door began to creak open and soon he was standing in front of a large mass of jail cells.

            The cells had one or two people each. They were small and nothing inside of them. Not one cell was empty. Jason recognized a few people. Some of them were from Camp Half-Blood. He also saw some demigods from Camp Jupiter. What was going on? Why were they imprisoned? They all gave him desperate looks but didn't speak. It made Jason think that there might be a guard around somewhere close by.

            He continued along the rows until he saw someone that made his heart leap. It was Piper, Frank, and Hazel. All of them were okay and awake. Jason ran up to the cage and pushed himself up against the bars.

            "Guys!" Jason whispered fiercely.

            Piper was the first to turn around. Her eyes went wide when she spotted her boyfriend. Jason only wished he could pull her into a huge hug. Instead, he took her hand in his and squeezed it.

            "Jason! What happened? How'd you get out? Where are we?" Piper stuttered.

            Jason answered honestly, "I'm not sure! After I was knocked unconscious, I woke up in this small room. I found a hole and crawled through it that lead me to here. I think we're in back in Athens in an underground cave or something."

            "Do you think this is where she is? Do you think Gaea is here? She already has...a male's blood. All she needs is a female's."

            "Annabeth," Frank spoke up. "She wasn't in here when we woke up. We're wondering if-if Gaea is taking her blood right now. We need to find her."

            "Where's Percy?" Jason wondered.

            "We don't know where he is, either. I'm guessing he somehow got away and is searching for Annabeth," Hazel replied. "Can you get us out of here somehow, Jason? The only set of keys are with the Cyclopes. He's a Son of Gaea and Uranus named Brontes."