Chapter 29: Feeling Stinky and Free (Like Garbage is Raining On Me)

Jason

            Jason's mental test was awful. After it, he felt like he was insane. He was walking back towards the infirmary with Annabeth when he had suddenly collapsed, courtesy of Gaea. Instantly, he was swept into a memory that was altered on purpose to freak him out.

            He was back at Camp Jupiter before his memories were swiped. He was sitting down with Reyna, and they were discussing the latest War Games set up. Jason noticed how close they were sitting to each other.

            Lighting flashed outside. Jason figured that his father was angry that night. Rain splattered down, and the sky was dark and gray. Both in their praetor robes, it was obvious that it was right before Jason went missing. He doubted that it was even close to what really happened, though. Gaea could alter anything in his mind.

            "Maybe you could reason with your father," Reyna joked with a half smile, about as much as Jason ever saw her smile, even at a gut wrenching story that Dakota told them at dinner time.

            "Funny," Jason responded. "I wonder what's made him so mad."

            Just then, Octavian burst in, looking as crazy as ever. His hair was wild, something that wasn't normally tolerated by him. In his hand was a fluffy cat stuffed animal that was ripped to shreds. His knife was covered in stuffing. It wasn't that menacing, since it didn't take anything at all to rip out the guts of a stuffed cat. It was still really creepy.

            "Octavian," Reyna stated stiffly. "Why have you interrupted us? Is there important news that you bare?"
            Octavian glared angrily at Jason, running up to him and swiping at him with his small knife. Jason gasped, and ducked away from it, pulling out his own sword for defense. Octavian growled, attacking again.

            "BOYS!" Reyna's dangerously powerful voice rang throughout the room. Octavian and Jason both immediately stopped, panting in little breaths of air.

            "Octavian! What do you think you're doing? You can't just attack a Praetor without a dire consequence!" She growled at him. Octavian shrunk under her gaze. Jason stifled a laugh from the side.

            "Grace, you should not be laughing," Reyna turned towards him. "You fought against him. You somehow enticed him to do so, as well."

            Jason sputtered, "B-But Reyna! It was self-defense. Octavian just attacked me randomly for no purpose."

            "I had a purpose, Praetor," Octavian sneered. "You will become a disgrace to the Romans everywhere! YOU will cause the end! It will all be you. You won't be able to control your powers. You'll kill hundreds. You'll go insane."

            Jason's breath hitched at every new sentence.

            "Shush!" Reyna ordered. "You have no proof that this will happen, so you had no reason to attack him or even come in here for that matter! Now leave!"

            "I do have proof, Praetor Reyna. It's the innards. They told me."

            "IF I HAVE TO TELL YOU AGAIN, THEN THERE WILL BE CONSEQUENCES. IF YOU ATTACK JASON OR I AGAIN, THERE WILL BE EVEN LARGER ONES. DO YOU UNDERSTAND?" Reyna bellowed. Octavian backed away and gulped.

            "Y-Yes, Praetor." He glanced at Jason angrily again before heading away from them. Reyna sighed in relief.

            "Finally. Now, let's get back to work."