Chapter 7: The Stolen Cereal

Frank

            Frank was having nightmares again, and this time he had turned into a bunny.  Don't ask him why, he had no clue, but he did. It all started when he fell asleep.

            Nico, Reyna, and Coach Hedge all were all trudging along a path. Monsters began to swarm them at every angle. Nico looked worn out...well, all of them did, but him especially. Coach Hedge swung his bat at the nearest monsters and cheered with less enthusiasm than usual. Reyna stabbed skillfully at the Hellhounds jumping at her.

            Nico held his blade tall and proud, but acted as if it was a heavy burden. He swung with less power than usual, and was getting cut up and even more pale than usual, (and that's saying something).

            "What do we do?" Coach Hedge shouted over all of the noise and clanging of metals. He swung his bat into the head of a near monster and kicked him with his powerful goat legs.

            "I don't know how much longer we can hold out!" Reyna yelled back. "Maybe we should retreat!"

            That's when Nico piped up. "We can't retreat! We've already come this far! We're not going to just give up!" Nico had sweat dripping down his forehead.

            "We have no other choice!" Reyna argued. She barely missed the sharp claws of the Dracanae that advanced behind her.

            "I'm fighting for something bigger than the Parthenon!" Nico screamed. "We have to do this for the others! Just...we can't give up now! We--we can't give up yet."

            "Cupcake..." Coach Hedge puffed while he was helping keep away Empousa best he could. "Someone could get hurt. It's too risky. As much as I'd like to kick these stupid monsters butts all the way back to Tartarus!"

            "Shut up! Don't say that word. Don't say it again. Just give up, I don't care! But if you stop now, you're giving up on the others! Just get out of here, then!"

            Reyna's and Coach Hedge's expressions were priceless. Reyna growled at Nico."Fine then, let's get out of here."

            "We can't just leave him by himself!" Coach Hedge frowned. "Reyna, be wise about this."

            "I am wise," She decided. "And I'm leaving. You may come, or you may stay. I couldn't care less."

            She stalked off into the distance and the dream began to fade.

            Frank woke up in human form, surprisingly. He sucked in a breath and rubbed the side of his head, where his black hair was growing out from its usual acute military cut. He pulled on regular clothes and made his way into the kitchen.

            11 days, he realized, was all they had to get to Athens and defeat Gaea. Yet, they were missing three demigods. Frank sighed. He rubbed his eyes and entered the kitchen, seeing Leo, Piper, and Hazel already there. Hazel and Leo were talking in hushed tones, and Piper's eyes were brimmed with a deep red from crying.

            "Uh, hey," Frank said awkwardly. Immediately, everyone's eyes adverted to him. He didn't meet their gazes for some reason.

            "Finally up, I see," Leo noticed. Sure, it was meant to be funny, but no one laughed. Leo didn't even crack a smile.