iv. dinner with the cold ones

"Even the darkest night will end
and the sun will rise."
Herbert Kretzmer

iv. dinner with the cold ones

"Charlie!" Gemini exclaimed as she heard the front door close.

"What's for dinner?" Charlie asked warily.

Gemini frowned once she sensed that he wasn't alone.

"Oh my daughter and her husband and their daughter is joining us for dinner." Charlie said.

"Hi, I'm Bella and this is my husband Edward and our daughter Renesmee." Bella said.

"It's nice to meet you." Renesmee said as Edward frowned.

Gemini smiled. She knew Edward was upset that he wasn't able to read her mind.

"I'm Gemini and we're having Honey Garlic Glazed Salmon, Asparagus and Potatoes." Gemini answered, and Charlie looked relieved.

He seemed to feel awkward standing in the kitchen; so he and Edward lumbered into the living room to watch TV while Bella and Renesmee offered to help Gemini with dinner.

Renesmee made a salad while the salmons cooked, and Bella set the table.

Bella called Edward and Charlie in when dinner was ready, and Charlie sniffed appreciatively as he walked into the room.

"Smells good." Charlie said.

"Thanks. We did a good job." Gemini said.

We ate in silence for a few minutes.

It wasn't uncomfortable.

No one was bothered by the quiet.

"So, what did you do today, Gemini?" Charlie asked as he was taking seconds.

Gemini knew Seth had filled Charlie in on her meeting with Tiffany as she heard his thoughts so she knew there was no point in lying.

Gemini gasped but quickly caught herself when she realized she could hear Bella and Renesmee's thoughts too.

"Sorry, bit my tongue. But I found a relative of mine in La Push. Tiffany Call, I'm sure you guys know her and her son. It was nice to catch up with family." Gemini said.

"I thought you didn't know anyone here." Charlie said.

Gemini shook her head.

"I was drunk when you pulled me over, Charlie, so of course I would lie." Gemini said.

Charlie sighed.

"Is the food not up to par for you Bella, Edward?" Gemini asked.

Bella cleared her throat and Edward looked like he wanted to throw up.

"We ate before we came here." Bella answered.

Charlie nodded.

"They're vegetarians." Charlie said.

Gemini nodded.

"So, how are Tiffany and you related?" Edward asked.

"We're cousins. Second cousins." Gemini answered.

"So, will you be staying with her?" Bella asked.

Gemini mentally rolled her eyes at Bella's thoughts about Charlie not being safe in the house with Gemini. So, she ignored Bella's question.

While, Charlie's thoughts were at war with each other over letting me stay or telling me to go stay with Tiffany.

Renesmee smiled at Gemini.

"Why is your name, Gemini?" Renesmee asked.

"Good question, Renesmee. My mother said my birth was very whimsical so she thought it was appropriate to name me, Gemini as she knew I would be very fun. Like she used to say 'It's never boring with a Gemini around' But I think it was to annoy my father." Gemini answered.

"Why would it annoy your father?" Charlie asked.

"He wanted to name me, Juvelia, after his mother who hated my mother and also hated the name my mom picked for me." Gemini replied.

"Seems immature to me." Edward said.

Gemini glared at Edward.

"Are you calling my mother immature?" Gemini asked.

Edward was shocked. He didn't expect Gemini to react like that.

Charlie coughed and quickly changed the subject and started talking about the upcoming football game.

"I think I should go get ready for bed now. I'm sure Edward is mature enough to wash the dishes." Gemini said.

Edward nodded.

"Yes, ma'am." Edward said, having no idea why he agreed to wash the dishes as Gemini smirked.

"Goodnight, everyone. It was lovely to meet you, Bella and your family." Gemini said, walking away.

"She's definitely not normal." Bella said, low enough for only Edward to hear her.

"Agreed." Edward said.