20| possibly

The weather feels the same as in Connecticut standing here outside the airport. Anne said she'd be here in five minutes but that was fifteen minutes ago. Of course, as mom would say she's 'fashionably late'. Please as if she's got stuff to do on break. Beside me, Raya wraps her arms around herself tighter when the wind picks up.

"Christ! where the hell is Anne?" Raya bounces on her ankles trying to keep the blood moving so her legs don't numb from the cold.

Just as I'm about to call Anne and rip her a new one for saying five minutes her car pulls up in front of us. Anne quickly opens her door and rushes to open the back of the car.

"Sorry traffic happened!" Her inky black hair bustles in the wind as she takes the suitcase that rests in front of Raya. She tosses Raya's suitcase in the back and rushes over to grab mine. I barely noticed the fluffy figure behind the tinted window on the passenger side because of Anne's abrupt arrival. I squeal and try to gently open the door so Val doesn't jump out. Her tiny apricot furry body wiggles as she tries to contain her excitement. I keep riling her up which makes a little howl escape her.

"Geez if I were anyone else I would've thought you came to see the dog instead of your family." Anne teases after closing the back door. Raya takes her turn petting and cooing at Val while I squeeze Anne into a hug.

"And miss out on mom's wrath? Neverrr!" I gasp pulling out of the hug. Anne gives me a stern look that shows me that I already know what she's gonna say.

"Stop it. She loves you and she is doing her best." Anne says before heading back to the driver's seat.

"Well, she has a funny way of showing it," I mumble to nobody in particular then climb into the passenger seat Raya already in the back with Val. Also, doing her best? Please I've seen her best.

Anne pulls onto the highway that the airport leads out to. Anne begins asking Raya questions about Boston. Val jumps onto the center console and onto my lap. I scratch behind Val's ears making her lean into my touch. I let Anne and Raya catch up for the remainder of the drive.

Raya's family and mine live on the same cul-de-sac. Which meant when we were younger we were practically with each other 24/7. I guess you could say our families are close. We've had yearly family vacations together and dinners together are frequent. Raya being an only child meant that she is basically our sister. Raya and her mom are close I guess but they still have troubles with their views on things.

Anne pulls into the driveway of our house and Val's head pops up from my lap to look out the window. The garage lights flicker on lighting up the exterior of the traditional two-story brick suburban house. It feels nice to be home because I've finally learned how to miss it.

"Later I'll see you in the morning," Raya says gently not wanting to be loud since the whole neighborhood is asleep.

"Okay, goodnight." I turn back and watch her pull her luggage out from the back. She walks across the street to her house her figure fading in the dark.

Anne lets Val do her business before taking her inside and I grab my luggage before locking up the car. The front door groans as I push it open with my shoulder. The sweet scent of the candle my mom chose to burn today lingers in the air. None of the lights are on except the one in the kitchen that Anne had just turned on. The wall next to the staircase is littered with academic and sports awards that my siblings and I have won over the years. Along with bunches of family photos that are strategically placed along the wall. Val's collar jingles as she trots her way up the stairs probably going to Matt's room.

I flick the light switch on revealing the sage walls that are bare and empty. The walls used to be plastered with photos I took. Mom probably took them down to use my room as a guest room. Even though Anne's has been fully available since she's left for college. The full-sized bed all prepped and made with throw pillows that were once not there. The way that the comforter is folded tells me that Anne made this bed. The top edge folded twice revealing a sliver of the bedsheets instead of the comforter tucked in to cover the whole bed.