14| coffee

I walk up the stairs outside of the psych department and rub my hands together to warm them. "So how was Boston?" Carter asks me as I enter the building. I jump a little from his surprising appearance making Carter let out a deep laugh.

"Good, but not what I was expecting," I smile at him politely. I look at him fully and he's wearing his normal blue jeans and a leather jacket with a hoodie underneath. I normally don't like the look of leather jackets but he's pulling it off. Mainly because of the way his arms look in it. Ugh! No! When he doesn't say anything I turn to continue to walk away.

"Coffee?" He stops me holding out a second cup of coffee in his free hand. I don't really like coffee but I don't want to be rude.

"Yeah sure, thanks." I take the coffee from his hand. I lift the cup to my mouth taking a sip. It's hot but not scorch your tongue hot. It's bitter and sweet but mainly bitter. I swallow it down letting the bitter after taste take over my mouth. My nose scrunches a little from the strongness of it.

"What? Did I not put enough sugar in yours?" He asks me looking genuine as we walk down the hall to the room.

"No, I just don't prefer coffee." I smile meekly to ease the awkwardness I feel. When I look at him he has a very faint frown he's about to say something else but I stop him before he can. "But I appreciate this and I'm still going to drink this," I tell him still smiling at him.

"Okay then for future references what do you like?" He looks at me the sunlight hitting his face as we pass a window making his freckles striking.

"Well you don't have to get me anything but if you must know I like any fruity tea," I answer shifting the strap of my backpack higher on my shoulder.

"Okay, I'll keep that in mind." He says as he pulls the door open to the lecture hall. Ben is in his usual seat next to mine.

"Well, I'll talk to you later," I tell Carter. He looks like he wants to say something but he just smiles and nods before he makes his way to his seat. When I settle in my seat next to Ben looks up at me and smiles.

"I didn't know you and Carter were close," Ben questions me while I take a big gulp of the coffee to try to finish it faster.

"We're not," I answer simply before redirecting my attention to the professor.

During class, the professor goes off on a tangent about something before actually getting to the material. I finish the coffee within a few minutes into the discussion. By the time we're almost over with class, I feel wide awake. It's probably cause I'm not used to this amount of caffeine. After all, whenever I do have coffee it's decaf. The sugar in the creamer I put in it keeps me hyper which is why I prefer tea. I feel jittery and I feel like I need to get up and run a few laps to calm down.

My knee is bouncing when the professor dismisses the class. I am quick to get up and put my things away. Ben says goodbye to me and I pull my hair out from between my backpack and back and settle the bunch over my shoulder. Carter walks up to me and grabs my empty coffee cup and throws it in the nearest trash bin.

"Thank you but I could've done that." I laugh shaking my hands to release the tingliness.

Carter walks back to me. "Relax it's okay I just threw it away." He leads me out of the room. "Are you okay you seem... jolty?" Carter looks at me funnily.

"Yeah." It's the caffeine

"Okay..." He still looks at me curiously. "Is it the coffee?"

Before I can deny my mouth speaks before my brain can catch up. "Yes."