prologue

It's move-in day, mom and dad came to Connecticut with me to help me. My siblings Anne and Matt stayed at home because they have their own things to do. To be honest I don't miss them. The only one I miss is Val my dog. I sigh at the thought. Don't get me wrong I love my family, but now I finally get the independence I've wanted dreamed of.

Thinking back on the day when all the hard work finally paid off. The email from Yale appeared in my inbox a few minutes ago. Mom and dad aren't home yet and I should open it with them. I can't wait though one word could destroy me, but what if I see that one word? Screw it I'm gonna read it and re-read it in front of them and pretend. I click on the email and tap on the link. Once I log in, I hesitate to open the last link that will make or break me. Yale has been my dream school since freshman year. I gave up a social life and actually attempting to have a stereotypical teenage life. I am going to get in. I am going to get in. I tell myself over and over again. I wipe my sweaty palms on my mid-thigh pink plaid skirt, I press the link and before I even read it confetti appears. I got in! I got in! "I got in!" I screamed.

Mom and I have started unpacking everything into my room while dad gets the last box. I got assigned to a suite with two other roommates. They were randomly assigned so I don't know them. I hope that they aren't a nightmare. I cannot wait, I feel so ready for my clean slate. I can't wait for the nightlife. I never went to parties during high school, because I thought I only lived in a boring small town in Illinois. I thought parties didn't happen in my town. But, actually I wasn't considered "popular" enough to get invited. The "popular" group was always the same small group of skinny blonde girls seeking validation from mommy and daddy. Now I don't care, I should've not cared at all during high school but I did and that was my mistake.

Boys are a whole other story. I wasted my time with one boyfriend. After that, I thought high school relationships were pointless, and a waste of time. I'm sure none of the boys were into me too. Probably because I was a threat to their toxic masculinity so go me, I guess. I never had the chance to hook up with anyone for fun. My parents were constantly on my back about going out and bringing people over, but that changes now. Well I mean for the nightlife but you know what I mean.

I'm the first one to get to the dorms because we had to drive over 12 hours to get to Connecticut. I start placing my clothes in my closet while mom starts putting the sheets on the bed. The creak of door rackets and dad walks in and puts the last box on the desk.

"Look at my baby she's all grown up." Dad sniffles I turn around to see if he's actually crying he is.

"Aw dad I'm only a call away." I walk up to him and pull him into a hug, we shuffle over to mom and pull her into the hug.

"You better call us." Mom sniffles while kissing forehead great she's crying too. After living under their roof for my whole life it's coming to an end, a tear leaks from my eyes I quickly wipe it away.

"Okay enough of this, I'm still gonna be coming home" I laugh and pull out of the hug.

I hear chatters from the common area and then a door shut. I soon realize It's one of my other roommates. I check myself in the mirror and pull mom and dad out with me to meet my roommate. I walk out of the room to see a girl with beautiful long braids going down to her hips. She has the cutest facial features a button nose, round cheeks, and almond-shaped brown eyes just like mine. She's wearing black jean shorts. A white turtleneck is peeking out from underneath her Yale sweater. Her chocolate skin glowing underneath the light. She's holding a box filled with picture frames and plants.

"Hey, I'm Tate Mace! Are you Teagan or Lena?" Tate settles the box down near her feet and walks up to me smiling each braid swaying left to right as she walks. She smiles at me making her round cheeks prominent along with the lines underneath her cheeks.