21| undermine

Recap: Teagan met Carter's mom before flying home to her hometown for Thanksgiving break.

The house is empty once again when I make my way downstairs. The rest of yesterday was nice I guess you could say. It felt like my old normal before college I can't tell if I enjoyed it or not. I liked the weight of school being lifted from my shoulders. During dinner, mom asked me the usual how is school? Are you doing your absolute best? Then my personal favorite is she says "Failure is not an option!" Dad was there of course as my personal shield deflecting me from mom.

Dad's love for mom gives him 'she can do no wrong' tunnel vision but even he knows that I'm doing my best. Mom just doesn't see it that way for some reason. Anne came to the rescue a couple of times switching topics before mom got the chance to say something snarky. Matt was there clueless as usual but I mean he probably just doesn't want to get on mom's bad side.

I knock once on the front white door of Raya's childhood home before opening it. Her house has always radiated with warmth and refuge. If I wasn't at my house or school I would always be here. Mrs. Rivera practically thinks of me as her own and I think of her as my second mother.

The floorboards creak with each step I take getting closer to the glass sliding doors leading out to the glassed-in back patio. I see the backs of Raya's and Jack's heads. Jack's muscular arm is draped over Raya's slender shoulders as they sit on the outdoor couch with a blanket on their lap. They're deep in a conversation Jack watching Raya and Raya watching the fake fire on the heater in front of them. Raya looks at me over her shoulder when they hear me slide the glass door open.

She points over to the outdoor dining set to the left of us. "Mom made brunch have at it." Raya tosses the blanket off of her lap and gets up after Jack chastely presses his lips against her temple and pulls his arm off of her shoulders.

"Are you coming to Thanksgiving dinner or are you and doing something with Jack's family?" I ask her while stacking waffles and fruits onto my plate.

"Yeah, we're going over to his place for dinner." Raya glances over at Jack before picking at her nails.

Raya is doubtful about how this dinner is going to go. Jack's parents liked them as friends but she thinks that they don't approve of them dating. Which is complete and utter bullshit. More specifically I know Jack's dad is happy for him but his mom is unwelcoming least to say. The thing is his mom is not even involved in his life enough to even say shit.

"Oh well have fun and call me if you need backup. Though I know mama Rivera will not hesitate to raise hell."

"You know she would." Raya half-heartedly jokes plucking a strawberry from my plate.

The door slides open and Mrs. Rivera comes out rushing out with her arms open. "Teagan!" She calls out as I set down my plate and open my arms to hug her. Mrs. Rivera squeezes me tight and sways me side to side.

Mrs. Rivera is one of the biggest huggers I've ever met. Her hugs are like the definition of comfort. If it could be bottled up it would probably be the cure to depression.

Mrs. Rivera releases me and frames my face with her hands. "You're looking a little frail. Are you sure you're eating enough and not spending all your time studying?" Before I can interject she speaks again. "These are your college years you should have fun and explore, yes your education is important but you need to live your life!" She manages to turn a hug into a lecture.

"Hey! Where's my 'I need to live my life' speech?" Raya purses her lips.

"Shh you party too much already," Mrs. Rivera waves her hand at Raya dismissing her while keeping her eyes on me. "You look thin, are you eating? Here eat some more." She puts some more fruits on my plate.