Interior Police

"What's wrong?" Levi asked Armin, him and the others gathered round a fire in a warehouse. "Did all this filth kill your appetite?"

"No." Armin shook his head. "Jean, there's something I don't understand."

"What's that?" Jean had a very good idea to what he was referring to.

"When I turned around to try to save you, that woman already had her gun to your head. It's... funny..." Armin trailed off for a moment. "How could I have shot before she did?"

Jean gasped, remembering the woman's face very vividly. "I don't know."

"You shot first because she hesitated." Levi said what Jean wasn't willing to admit. "It's that simple."

"I'm sorry Armin." Jean apologised. "You wouldn't have had to save me if I'd just done my job."

"I know what it is." Armin spoke up again. "The woman I shot back there, I bet she was a really kind person, she must've had a lot more human empathy than I ever did. I pulled that trigger so easily. Without a thought, I'm..."

"A killer." Levi finished his sentence for him. "And now that your hands have been soaked in blood, the person you once were is gone for good."

"Why would you say that." Mikasa gasped.

"And you shouldn't regret it for one second." Levi ignored Mikasa's protests. "Because if you'd chosen to keep your hands clean, Jean would be a corpse on a cart right now." He reminded him. "I'll tell you why you pulled the trigger, because your comrade was about to die. Armin, everyone aside from Eld on our squad survived today, because you got blood on your hands. Thank you."

"Captain Levi, I uh, I thought it was wrong for us to fight other humans Sir. I thought it was wrong that you ordered us to do it." He told him how he felt. "I mean, we became soldiers to protect people, but now, I see that I was in the wrong Sir. Next time I swear I'll shoot." He promised.

"I never said anything about what was right or wrong." Levi shocked him with his response. "My moral high ground is shot to hell, I have no idea if we're in the right at this point."

"Now then." Levi got to his feet, eyeing up the guest they had with them. "I think it's time we heard what our guest has to say." Levi walked up to the man they had captive, and took the gag out of his mouth.

"Mercy please." He begged. "I'm just an old man they used to move cargo, I didn't want-"

"I've met this one before." Mikasa remembered him from the Trost Invasion. "He seemed to be a prominent merchant."

"Yeah, I know him. Dimo Reeves right?" Levi asked.

"This damn job was forced on us by the Military Police." Dimo tried to tell them. "And now that we've completely botched it, they'll plunder the Reeves Company for everything it's worth, first they'll kill me, then they'll set up accidents for all my employees, my dumb son too."

"You just gonna lay down and take it?" Levi tried to get the man to look at whatever bright side there was. "There's a reason Trost recovered from that Titan attack. It's largely because of jobs and money brought in by the Reeves company. Tell me, if your company were to disappear, how many would survive the coming winter?"

"So what? You want me to join you?" Dimo asked.

"We just need to know where Eren and Historia are." Levi informed him. "If you're in contact with the MP's, I think I have a plan."

"Then can you give me your word that the people of Trost won't end up starving to death?" Dimo pleaded.

"I can't guarantee it." Levi kneeled down to his level. "That said, I believe they'll have a better chance with us than without."