Money Talks

A/N- Hello again, as you may have been able to tell, these chapters have been quite a but shorter than I would usually write, but It's much better for me to write this way, and it'll let me upload chapters more freely with less content stuffed in for each chapter.

He reached the main road well before daybreak and went south towards the gate and the outlying part of the wall, where he presumed there would be some sort of civilisation living there.

He sat on a fence near the gate from just before daybreak to about what was probably around eight in the morning before he decided to pass through the gate.

Passing through the gate with his hood down, he was careful to take in his surroundings, noting what the people here wore, what they looked like and what they were doing.

As he entered what was quite obviously a city within the outlier wall section, his gaze was brought to a group of men sitting playing cards at a table, they wore a cropped jacket with a symbol on the back, a wall with red roses on it.

They also wore some strange metal device around their waist and a leather harness, with two large boxes strapped to their thighs.

"Never seen the ODM gear before kid?" One of the men caught him staring at the gear. "Come on over, I'll tell ya how it works."

Y/N didn't see the harm in that, mainly because the guy looked like he wasn't a threat at all, Y/N had met little girls more threatening than this guy was.

"Name's Hannes by the way." He introduced himself, shaking hands with Y/N before he got a reply back. "Right, so the ODM gear is pretty cool, it basically lets you fly and kill Titans at the same time." He explained. "This trigger here fires the grappling hook on this side and same with the other handle. This trigger reels in the hook, propelling you forward and into the air." He explained.

"Now these..." He reached across and the handle clicked onto something and he pulled out a blade about a metre long. "Are what kills the Titan, you fly around to the back of the neck and whoosh... dead Titan."

When he put the blade back, Y/N released the grip he had on his pistol ever so slightly, pulling his arms back around to the front. "How much would one of these cost to buy?" Y/N asked.

"Can't buy these anywhere kid." Hannes informed him, shaking his head. "Military use only. These are expensive to make, and criminals have caused a lot of damage in the past, so only members of the Military can have and use one."

"Signups for the Cadet Corps are next month though if you wanna try your hands at one." Hannes suggested. "You'd have to go to Trost up north though for that, then you'll get three years to practice before you choose a branch to go to."

"Alright..." Y/N nodded his head, thinking a little. "How far north is Trost?"

"About a day in a carriage, less if you take the boat there." Hannes shrugged his shoulders. "You'll know when you see it, considering the wall is fifty metres high." Hannes and his friends giggled at the joke, which wasn't very funny at all.

"Thanks for the information Hannes." Y/N thanked him politely before getting a wave goodbye, walking away from them and into the city.

The ODM gear that Hannes showed   Y/N looked fascinating, and it looked like it had been specifically designed to fight Titans instead of humans, and while he hadn't seen it in action, the manoeuvrability with gear like that would be invaluable if he could get his hands on one.

Only problem was that only the Military could have them, and three years was a long time, and it was even longer to someone who only had eleven years left to live, because if he really did want to sign up, he'd need some sort of documentation to prove that he existed here, at least within reason to the ones running the Cadet Corps as Hannes called them.