Wide Awake

Hey, I've missed you guys. Enjoy

The rain tattering against the window rustled Bria in her sleep.  Her ears perked up from the rhythmic calming sound of the rain.  Her body slightly jostled  underneath the covers.  She groaned still feeling fatigued, but her body still felt like it was aching and drained.  Her eyes fluttered open, adjusting to the dim fluorescent lighting of the depressing hospital room.  Her eyes immediately searched for her fiancé Adonis, who was curled up in a blanket on a small sectional in the corner of the room—he wasn't snoring so she knew he was just resting his eyes.   Her mind suddenly thought about Yara and wondered how she was doing without her.  She missed her baby girl , but she knew she was in good hands with her grandfather.  She was already her grandpa's favorite. 

It felt weird feeling powerless and out of her normal routine, but she didn't want this to be her new norm, and silently she hoped it wouldn't.  Her sore muscles ached as she stretched trying to gain some movement from being still for so long.  A couple of bones popped as she stretched in her bed. 

Adonis' eyes fluttered open at the sound of Bria's restlessness.  He hastily gets up, placing the blanket beside him and makes his way over to her.  He hovers over Bria, bending down to kiss her forehead and grabs ahold of her hand, careful not to disturb the IV placed on the backside of Bria's hand. 

He leaves a trail of kisses from her forehead, down to her nose and placed a soft lingering kiss on her lips.  When he pulls away, he places his hand on the side of Bria's face, slightly above her ear, gently stroking her hair. She smiled faintly, wanting nothing more than to be held right now. 

"I was really worried about you." Adonis' breath wavers as he shakily sighs placing his forehead on yours. 

Bria sighs, feeling guilty for letting him worry about her.  She pondered lost in her thoughts, and just as she was about to speak her dry throat got the best of her, causing her to slightly cough. 

"I'm..s..sorr-"

"Don't apologize for things you can't control.  I'm your fiancé it's my job to worry about you." Adonis interrupted.

"You're always helping others...now it's my turn to take care of you."

A few tears welled at the side of her eyes, suddenly overwhelmed with the amount of emotion that was impossible to explain. 

"Hey, hey it's okay.  I don't want you to cry." He says, brushing your tears away with his thumb.

"It's just that...you deserve so much more than what I've given you...." Bria says in a shaky whisper.  She sniffled, wiping her eyes feeling ashamed that her body was slowly failing her. 

He cuts her off with a kiss mid sentence.  Hesitantly she kissed him back, before he pulls away. 

"You are my entire world, just you being here is enough for me." He says, peering into her eyes.

She nods slowly, watching him pull away. 

A knock on the door alerted the young couple's attention signaling that the nurse was walking in for a routine check in.  The nurse smiled softly and greeted herself when she saw that Bria was now awake and recalled everything that happened since Bria was asleep. 

The doctor then came in after the nurses visit to do a more thorough evaluation to see how her motor skills were, and to run a few tests. 

After being cleared by the doctor, Bria was free to be released after an overnight stay just to check her vitals.  But after she was to return home, she was ordered to stay on bed rest for a few days while doing chemotherapy treatments to hinder the growth of progressive cancer cells.