𝐦𝐞𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐲 𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐞

[ b o n u s   c h a p t e r ]
before the tide

"To be soft is
to be powerful."
- anonymous.

(a year before the school trip)

•••

Jason Fernandez was undeniably squeamish. He, along with almost the entire population of his high school, had been invited to Karma Sinclair's 15th birthday party. He was skeptical at first, acknowledging the very many number of crazy ex girl flings that would attend and haunt him, and also the most present obstacle to challenge him: inviting Karma Sinclair to his brother's wedding.

Not that he really had a plus one, but it was customary for groomsmen to bring a partner, although his parents never really considered him having a serious girlfriend. But his mother was very fond of the petite girl and although he'll never admit, Jason needed an excuse to hold the girls hand on a church aisle and maybe even pretend they were meant for each other for at least a few minutes.

Or maybe he just couldn't get away with a childhood crush.

"Bro, you look like you got eaten by an eggplant." Clark jokes, putting his arm over Jason's shoulders as they walk towards Grizz' house. Jason tried his best not to snap at his best friend, only smirking towards him, "Because I got a huge—"

"Okay, no, let's stop there." Luke cuts him off, walking beside the two. Luke, as usual, had his eyes glued on his phone, not paying attention to the road. "And yeah, you do look like you were eaten by a vegan croc."

"Shut up." Jason scowls, fiddling with his green and purple polo shirt.

A few minutes after the boys had teased Jason of his eggplant costume and forced him to borrow one of Grizz' black polo shirts, they had finally left the Visser's house and arrived just outside the Sinclair's.

The huge gates were open for anyone to enter, but there were still security personnel at the corners of the guard houses, making sure to monitor everyone. After all, it was a politician's home. 

A bunch of other young teenagers were scattered partying and laughing around, but no matter how much Jason forced to search the entire porch to the living room, he couldn't spot the one person he was searching for.

Just then, Karma came down the stairs from her bedroom wearing a red dress with matching heels and Jason's head whipped towards her direction just like everyone else.

Only then he realized he couldn't go anywhere near her, not with Harry by her side.

"Dude, let's go get some drinks, and oh, cake." Clark slaps him in the back to move forward, and he nodded. "Yeah."