𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞

[ c h a p t e r    n i n e ]
river tears

"It is not in the stars to
hold our destiny,
but in ourselves."
- William Shakespeare.

"- William Shakespeare

•••

"I was never going to go to prom with Clark, you know?" Gwen starts, braiding Helena's hair in front of the mirror in Karma's room. Avery was applying make up on her face in the other side, in front of another mirror, seated on the velvet couch.

Karma received a text from Gwen asking her if she would go to their house to prepare with the girls, but Avery insisted Karma's room was larger—and that if she ever needed to fight Gwen at least she would be in their territory—so it was better to do what they needed to in the mansion.

Karma, however, was running late. No one knew where she had went or what took her so long in doing anything to start preparing, Avery guessed it was Bingham again, but she saw the boy's messy hair leave Kelly's house just moments earlier, so she wasn't sure where her best friend is now.

"Seth was going to take me, the guy I met who's going to Wesleyan." Gwen continued. Avery listened in to their conversation mindlessly.

"Clark doesn't know?" Helena questioned, turning her head. Gwen frowned, "Don't move," She tilts her head with her hands and continued to fix her hair. "You'll ruin your crown."

"Sorry." Helena hums. Gwen smiles, "You really think that you and Luke would've stayed together after you went away to college?"

"Yeah." Helena nods her head. Avery looked at them both from the mirror, "I think so too. That guy is head over heels for you," She tells Helena who smiled brightly at her. "Thanks, Ave."

"Really?" Gwen asks her while looking at the two of them, "You were going to Stanford. There are, like, so many people." Helena just smiles at her through the mirror, listening.

"Hot people, hot surfer people," They laugh, "You don't think you'd be curious?" She asks the girl. Helena pauses, "Maybe, I guess. So what?"

"Luke wasn't just like...the best you could do for now?" She questions. Avery rolled her eyes mentally, not really getting her point. Helena, however, didn't look too bothered with her questions. "No," She responds firmly, still smiling.

"And he feels the same way, Hel," Avery tells her, finished with her make up. "He does, we love each other," Helena adds.

"How are you so certain about everything?" Gwen asks and Helena sighs, "Im serious," she laughs.