THE CITY IS AT WAR

a/n; hello! this was an idea i had a long, long while back (like august/september), and never fully fleshed out. i got halfway through the first chapter, and, really, i unfortunately don't think i'll ever finish it :( you guys get what i had rewritten, though!

the summary thing that was in my notes; a dystopian future in which chaos and crime have overtaken the streets of modern chicago -- the national government having failed, and leading the citizens to take matters into their own hands -- only resulting in a power-fueled aristocracy taking over the individual cities... the story of how a poor boy from the streets accidentally got tangled into the luscious life up the upper-class, causing a storm of trouble to follow his way as the head family's oldest son begins to fall for him...

October 31st, 2019

"Mister Gerard, are you ready?"

Gerard glanced from his vanity towards the doorway, humming a bit as the small form of Lucile appeared -- her small form filling the crack between the frame and the door. Carefully, Gerard placed down his hairbrush, pushing his chair out and standing with an aura of elegance -- pushing it back with his heel.

"Yes ma'am," He responded softly. Short, polite eye contact was made as he joined her at the doorway, hands behind his back.

"Very well," She replied just as quietly, her voice small and squeaky -- tucking a loose strand of her hair behind her ear, fading, and warm like toffee.

With this, she led the two of them down the hallway. Dark, blood-red walls, and maroon carpet beckoning them towards the end of the floor -- the pale cream of the bead-board contrasting radically against the inky spell of the harsh reds along the rest of the corridor.

"You look nice tonight, sir," Lucile commented quietly, following close beside him whilst her body instinctually tucked into itself. Gerard glanced to her, pursing his lips just the tiniest bit.

"Thank you," He spoke, smiling gently.

Lucile nodded, a timid smile upon her face whilst he soothed down her skirt -- light and airy, frills falling neatly along the pale white fabric.

"You look nice, as well," Gerard added, smiling softly as she blushed a bit.

"Thank you, sir," She replied, shying her gaze away in the midst of tucking another strand of hair behind her ear.

"You're welcome," He said. Carefully, he reached down and tugged at the cuffs of his sleeves -- adjusting them into a more orderly fashion. Lucile still had her gaze glued onto the floor, lips quirked upwards whilst they reached the end of the hall.

Gerard gazed off the staircase for a lingering moment, wide and grand -- elegant marble swirling along the platforms of each step, and cast-iron railings curling and twisting in careful tendrils down the length.

His fingertips habitually traveled down the banister whilst he followed each step towards the ground, stepping off the final of the steps with a quick glance around the wide entryway. 

"Your parents are already waiting in the car," Lucile spoke as she stepped and joined Gerard on the checkered tile. The young man nodded, watching as she disappeared into the other room for a quick moment. Hurrying back, she returned with a jacket clutched in her hands, extending it towards Gerard with a slightly crooked smile. "You may want this, sir. It's going to be chilly tonight."

Gerard glanced over the thick fabric, his lip between his teeth as he quirked a quick smile -- slipping it onto his arms. Swaddling the coat tight around him, he left it unzipped, turning back to the girl beside him. "Thank you, again, Lucile."