Chapter Sixteen pt 2

It wasn't long before the three continued on their journey to the mysterious destination. The sky remained dark, but the air started to grow moist with the coolness that grazed their skin. The crisp scent of the night met the dewy dampness of an upcoming dawn.

Bending down to the elf's ear, only inches away, the demoness whispered in a hush. "Think about a place you know very well away from here. The easiest for you to imagine." When the elf gave a hesitant nod with a quizzical look, she smiled and said nothing more on the subject.

Turning herself to face the both of them now, her voice remained low. "We're almost there. Even if we're far from the main city, we'll still be in demon territory. So, keep your guards up and your presence low. And when we're inside—" A sharp glint crossed his eyes, an eerie confidence stained her lips and stance. "—stay with me. At all times."

In the near distance, the sparse silhouettes of humble houses came closer into view. Dark wood turned grey in the moonlight and the stillness could assume no life to be present.

Heartbeats started to clog Eial's throat and his clammy hands tugged the hood of his cloak further down. His mind recalled the demon hordes that, now twice, had him surrounded and overpowered. His magic, a weakness against theirs. Their magic, the one thing he had no defense against.

As for Drokn, an odd sensation washed over him viewing the town. It hadn't been long since he'd left the territory, but it had felt like so. A view that should look like home, but felt distant, unfamiliar. Unbelonging.

The demoness looked at Eial, grabbing his attention. Gesturing, she touched a finger to her lips as a shush of silence, pointed up, and then made the shape of a half sphere with her hands. Comprehending, Eial nodded and moved his palms out in front of him.

Visually, nothing changed around them. But as the sleeping hares and birds remained unmoved at their arrival, Drokn understood. A barrier had been set around them, shielding their footsteps from observance and letting their presence fall naturally within nature's.

Approaching a solitary house, they walked slow with their heads hung low. Drokn, hoodless, examined the surroundings, his narrowed eyes drifting right and left. In the barren town, no one walked the streets, not a breath was spared outside. Not a single guard examined the area, left protectionless. Were the smaller towns always like this?

The demoness led the two to a side of the house where no windows or doors lay. Very lightly, she tapped on the wood, each tap descending downward. Tap, tap, tap, tap...

After the few, she stepped back and waited. Suddenly, a small metal clink came from below the ground with two taps in response.

The demoness looked back with a smirk before reaching down and lifting a small pocket like slit within the same grass they were standing on. From under the slit, she pulled out what seemed like a handle made of twine. Taking the handle in hand, the demoness pulled upward, and suddenly a block of the ground lifted as if opening a book, revealing a hole underneath.

The demon's eyes grew wide at such a sight, then looked around to see if any other secrecies had been laying around.

Eial's vision grew curious, in awe at the clever concealment of the space and how it had not been faulty at the slightest. But his gaze soon stilled and his heart thumped as the shoulder of a stranger became visible in the hole, waiting for their arrival.

Tucking the handle back into the inconspicuous sleeve of grass, the demoness hopped into the hole, keeping the side of the opening held up. Waving to follow, the demoness waited until Eial held the block before letting go and walking past an opened metal door, towards the stranger underneath.

Eial looked at the demon and tilted his head towards the opening, indicating to follow. Taking the hint, Drokn jumped down and through the door with Eial right behind, the opening sealing tight again as he let go, leaving no evidence of their arrival outside.

Inside was a room lit with fire light from several lanterns, the only adornment was a thick metal door with a dial in front. Before introductions were placed, a woman with long braided hair and small, pointed demon horns led them forward, barely making eye contact. Turning the dial one way and then the other, a click sounded. The metal door opened with a hiss and a light creak scratched at its hinges.

The room inside was not small, but with the four of them together, it felt slightly crowded. Thick wafts of musky earthiness and dust engulfed the warm space. On one side of the room were bookshelves layered with books and tied bundles of paper. On another side was a wide desk with devices, notes, and ink scattered throughout. The level of disorganized-organization reminded Eial of his mother.

"Vrona, glad you made it back safely." Finally, a husky and dull voice broke through the silence.

"Thank you for letting me bring them," the demoness responded.

It was then that the elf realized that the unfamiliar woman was addressing his mother. And it was also then that he realized he had never actually learned of her name. Had only learned to call her, "Mother." Vrona, the woman had said. In his mind, the elf repeated the name over and over, the twinkle playing in his eyes and tongue, distracting him slightly from his twiddling fingers.

"This is Drokn," the demoness, or rather Vrona, said, tapping Drokn on the shoulder. This earned her back a short glare from the demon. Unfazed, she turned to the other side, this time tapping Eial's shoulder. "And this is Eial."

"Pleasure to meet you. I am Mont'arka, or Mon, a friend of Vrona's," the husky voice said looking at Drokn. Her eyes wavered to see Eial and darted away before barely making contact.

"Now that introductions are done, let's go straight into business, shall we?" Vrona breathed in sharply before letting out a long sigh. "What information do you have about AE001?"

"AE001?" Drokn repeated at the demoness, his glare deepening with suspicion.

The demoness lowered her gaze with a solemn darkened shadow. Briefly looking at Eial, she turned to face Drokn. "AE001 was a unique elf," she explained, a voice thick like stilled water. "A unique elf with the power of all four elements."