Chapter Twenty Four pt 3

"That's my boy!" Vrona exclaimed in a hush as she smacked Drokn's back.

Irritated at first as he stepped forward to regain his balance, his slightly flushed cheeks looked around expectantly. Wary, distrusting eyes that were facing his way not too long ago now softened. But, there was no grand celebration— not that Drokn was expecting any, but not that he wasn't expecting any either. Alas, he was left to feel some disappointment.

So, he turned to his cheery little companion, who...

Where was his little companion?

He looked around, briefly caught eyes with K'ra who made fists in the air, but did not see the one he was looking for. Where had he gone? He turned the other way to ask Vrona, but she had disappeared, as well.

At least, from his side.

He noticed her huddle within the group, talking amongst the crowd in soft voices. Drokn was used to being around people he didn't know, as he was a prince and he was always around servants he wasn't particularly close with. Although, in that case, they had roles. He was above them, he didn't have to treat them a particular way or learn to get to know them better.

Suddenly by his lonesome in this particular situation, he felt an unfamiliar discomfort. A feeling where he was sharing a sea, but he was on his own boat where the others shared another.

How was he to talk to them? How does one create conversation in ways he can't display his arrogance?

Can't he display his arrogance?

They need him, after all.

He's crucial.

Just as his mouth opened to speak, K'ra stepped forward, blocking his vision. Immediately, his mouth shut. Next to them was another vaguely familiar face, and it took him a few moments to recognize the face as yet again one of his former servants at the palace.

Truly, how many of his former servants were a part of the rebellion? He felt like it no longer shocked him as much.

"P-prince Drokn?" the man made a strange face. "It feels odd to call you without a title, I'm so used to... uhm."

With honesty, the slow, indecisive way this man spoke mildly irritated Drokn. He hadn't known the ways his servants spoke as, well, he rarely spoke to them except for his demands. Perhaps it was better that they hadn't spoken. Although, this was the first demon to address him as prince, and just for that, he was willing to put up with any of this demon's annoyances.

Unsure how to talk to his former servant, he turned to, well, his other former servant. "What are you doing here, K'ra?"

K'ra contorted their face as if Drokn had made the silliest question. On a piece of parchment already filled with words from other conversations, they wrote, [I'm part of the rebels, of course I'd be here!] As soon as Drokn finished reading and looked up, K'ra widened their mouth into an inaudible laugh.

"Is..." A deep pump of a heart's pulse pressed against Drokn's chest. "Is Gru alright? How was the town after the attack?" Drokn's voice was so quiet, a wind could have swept the words away.

A gentle smile drew on K'ra lips. [Pa is doing his best.] They looked up and shrugged. [The town is fine. The demon guards left as soon as they couldn't find Vrona.]

The guard's, or rather, the King's obsession with Vrona was quite discomforting to Drokn, but he tried not to think much of it. Anyway, he had more important things for his mind to wander about. Such as, defeating the very King.

"Good," Drokn finally said in response after a pause, and that's when he noticed the other man's grin, as well.

"Prince Drokn," the former servant started, and immediately, instinctively, Drokn puffed out his chest and stood tall. "Truth be told, I, uhm, didn't believe it when... K'ra and Lahzo tried to vouch for you before your entrance. I don't think most of us did... But you really have changed. So much so, that... it's quite jarring, honestly. I can't... hmm... believe you're the same person."

Drokn brought up his shoulders close to his ears and looked to the side, relaying in a deep voice. "I don't blame you. I am not proud of who I was."

The former servant's grin spread wider. "I'm proud of you, Prince Drokn."

A blink and two blinks, a pitter patter of the heart. Drokn was not going to cry. Absolutely not.

Suddenly, as the demon was basking in the churning warmth in his chest, he was grabbed by the shoulder and forcefully brought to a crouch, joining him along with others who sat on the cold prison floor.

"And that's where he'll come in!" Vrona emphasized, hand still on his shoulder.

Jarred by the shift, Drokn looked around the circle wide eyed in confusion before fixing his gaze on the familiar demoness with his pinched brows. "What are you doing?" he asked, an obvious ire toning his voice.

"We're planning out the attack," Vrona explained and continued, talking about what the rebels had set out so far. They'd place teams in the east and west corners of the royal hallway, or simply, the floor the king resided in. There was going to be a group to distract the king while sneaking another group to the back. They were going to...

As Vrona continued to explain, two things came to be clear that made Drokn's blood rise to his head:

One, the rebels had planned a passive approach

Two, Drokn was not the main character of their scheme.