Chapter Twelve pt 6

Slowly making her way back up, she spoke, her voice calm but icy. "You know what's funny? I have absolutely no magic energy, but I can still easily overpower you in a fight. I didn't even have to use spells.

"Drokn, it's never been that you're more miserable because you have less magic than others. It's that you've never had the drive to work with what you have because you were too drowned in your self pity and pride. Instead of looking for ways to be better, you convinced yourself you were the best with no effort to prove it.

"Have you ever done something about it? Instead of comparing, complaining, and taking it out on Eial who did nothing but deal with whatever he was born with!"

"If he's born with special powers, what's there to deal with!" Drokn roared while positioning himself back up from lying to kneeling, hiding the mortification of his loss. "I'm the one who keeps having to deal with it! If I was born with better magic powers, I could have defeated you, too! I could have been a respectable prince! I could—" At that moment, as he finally grew conscious of their stares, a reality crushed him. He felt like a fool, utterly helpless and separated. The two stared down at him. Two of a pair. And him, alone.

Truly alone. The looks the other two gave him, their distant eyes, condemning eyes, pitiful eyes— all wanted to make him crawl out of his skin and run away. And what hurt the most was that he could run away. In fact, the elf had expected him to leave a long time ago. Despite what the small elf said, despite all the care the elf had shown, Eial didn't care at all if he stayed.

And that— that absolutely crushed him. Suddenly, all their words, and all the words he had shoved deep inside him, tore through his skin and left him completely bare.

"It's not my fault!

"Nothing's wrong with me!

"I'm still powerful!

"If I had more power, no one could defeat me!

"No one could defy me!

"No one..." Drokn's voice cracked as a tone he'd never spoken in broke through his speech. "No one wants me."

Without his intention, his lips quivered and warm, wet drops slowly made its way down his cheeks, stunning both the demoness and the elf. "I have nothing. I can do nothing. I was powerless, so father hated me. I was unneeded, so mother left me. I was... I... "

Drokn turned his wet eyes to look at Eial. He remembered how brilliantly the elf had used to smile at him back in elven territory, how the unfamiliar warmth shook him. And now how the elf had distanced and restrained himself, which he pretended to ignore. His heart clutched and a strained voice escaped him. "I wrecked you. It was my fault."

Something caught the side of the demon's vision. When he looked over, he saw the withered flower on the ground. Fallen from his cape pocket and laid on, it had completely turned into a brown and black crumbled mess. His heart clenched and a heavier sob left the demon's lips.

"I'm sorry."

This surprised them all, but surprised the demon the most. The words felt foreign coming out of his mouth. He didn't even know if he's ever said the word too prideless for his former self. But his pride had been ripped already and he was left with no care. The words were easier to say than he'd imagined, and soon he became addicted. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

His eyes briefly caught the tall woman's stare and he quickly looked away in embarrassment. He struggled to get up, but his legs felt weak and he fell back down like a loose puppet. "Fuck!" he shouted, his face completely red.

Eial glanced over at his mother before quickly making his way to Drokn. Covering him with his cloak, the two of them vanished in the next moment and reappeared inside the cabin. Eial gently helped the demon up to sit on the bed, and sat himself beside him in silence.

Drokn's thoughts were jumbled, replaying moments of his life. He truly was weak all his life and he pretended not to be. His stupid and uneccessary arrogance and pride was nothing but a shield for all that he thought poorly of himself. His father had shamed all his faults and refused to introduce him to the public in embarrassment. But it made sense. He really was that much of garbage.

He sobbed by himself for a long time, and when he had regained focus, he realized Eial had been by his side this whole time, giving him space, yet keeping him company. Not only that, he realised that at some point, he had grabbed Eial's hand tightly for comfort, yet his grip was not moved away. Peeking to the side, he saw the elf deep in thought. Through sniffles, he asked in a crumbly voice. "What are you thinking about?"

Eial came out of his daze and looked at Drokn with sincerity. "I was just thinking... you have faced a different type of loneliness. It must have been difficult."

Drokn felt like he did not deserve the elf's sympathy, but his heart still soaked in the warmth. "You deserve to bond with someone better. Why do you have to deal with a piece of shit like me?" His hand gripped tighter as he looked to the floor.

Eial stared solemnly in front of him. "There have been moments that have been difficult for me, but whether fake or real, some of my happiest moments were also with you. In fact, I feel quite special. Not only am I bonded with a demon who is handsome, but he was also a prince. And maybe he'll be a king soon. I was willing to have anyone, but luck found me a rarity." Eial smiled and turned his face to look at Drokn who stared at him with wide eyes.

Drokn was speechless. How could someone be this bright? This forgiving? How had he not treasured this person more? Been more honest about how precious his warmth was. Flashes of memories of when he'd left Eial distraught and helpless blinded his mind. Soon, tears rained down from his eyes again.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry for leaving you. I'm sorry for saying that I don't want you. I lied. I'm sorry for hurting you." Cupping Eial's cheek with his free hand, Drokn continued, looking from one eye to the other. "I'm not leaving you. If you aren't able to believe that I'll stay, I'll just prove to you that I will, whether or not you have a barrier set up!"

A thumb caressed Eial's soft lips and Drokn's heartbeat grew heavier, a certain pull tugging at his chest, craving touch. Inch by inch, Drokn moved closer, but before he got too close, Eial turned his head away. The demon blanked for a moment as he fell out of his trance and didn't push further. Instead, he clumsily enveloped Eial in a tight hug who fit perfectly within his hold. "I hope hugging's okay," he said in a crackly, tear dried voice.

Eial didn't hug back, but he sank deeper into the other's arms, allowing himself to be cradled further.

"...Your heart's still been in pain since we've arrived, hasn't it? If you thought I was going to leave you anyway, why did you choose to stay and put up with me?"

Silver lashes fluttered seemingly in slow motion. A quiet moment passed before Eial spoke up. "Despite everything, I am happy to be around you. If I'm to wither anyway, I might as well be happy in the time that I am full."

Drokn's heart clenched and he held Eial tighter. "I won't let you wither away." He breathed deeply into Eial's neck, remembering the fate of the flower Eial had given him. "I'll learn to properly take care of you."

Within the warmth of the embrace, a small drop of wetness trailed down the demon's clothing, but the cloth was too thick and went unnoticed.

"E ro elv krevi ko sheh n te 'evi de kain te sin du brawn. Ju kain fuh a'kah..."

The baby elf cries with tears in his eyes for love he did not know. But love said hello...