Chapter Five pt 2

At the present, his eyes creaked opened again, his body aware of the lateness of his rise. He stretched through stiff muscles, a yawn escaping him. Looking back, he checked what he could of his wing's healing process. And to his surprise... they were healing quite well, quite fast. Nothing to complain of, he smirked at his aptitude and climbed up back to the surface.

"Oh! Good morning!" The elf's warm voice matched the warmth of the air. "Or I suppose," he chuckled, "good afternoon."

The demon groaned in response. Shifting over through the grass, he noticed a larger basket covered with linen. "What's that?" he asked, eyeing the irregular shape.

The elf's face lit up as he started, "I briefly went to town this morning and bought a few things. I think you will like them. Or, I hope you do."

"You went to town? A wanted man?" The deep voice asked in mocking disbelief.

"Well, it seems like the townsfolk aren't aware of the happenings at the cell. As long as I avoided any guards, I was safe."

The demon scoffed. "Typical that the elven guards and rulership would save their dignity from the public knowing a demon not only successfully infiltrated their territory, but also escaped their cells."

"Perhaps news didn't spread to avoid panic."

"That doesn't help their case. Shows how weak they are to any negative news. That kind of censorship to fit their perfect fantasy is what causes so many to be so... frilly frolly."

"Frilly frolly," the elf giggled, "that's a funny word."

The demon sighed. Mornings didn't suit him and the elf had too much energy. Regardless, the elf's giggles halted much of the annoyance he would have usually had. "Where did you get money? Or... did you steal?"

"Oh no no!" Eial's eyebrows crimped. "I have coins. Not often, but I work here and there in different towns and have saved some."

"You can work?" The thought of this awkward elf fitting into any bit of elven society was an image to ponder.

"Usually simple tasks. Deliveries and such," explained the elf and then refocused the conversation to the basket he was eager to present. "Would you like to know what's in here?"

"Hmm. I'm not sure I want to know," teased the demon, smirking at the elf's obvious excitement. But yet again his attempt to get a reaction from the elf backfired.

"I think you do want to know. It is food and you haven't eaten. You must be hungry," the elf said so matter of fact, it left the demon feeling almost stupid.

"Look," the demon breathed in, "I was teasing you. You're supposed to— Oh hell, why do I have to explain this."

"Oh," the elf processed this new information with twinkling eyes, "I don't think I've been teased before. This is exciting."

Stifling a quizzical laugh, the demon looked away. Although he wanted to be further annoyed, the elf's charm cast a spell on his chest and seized whatever disapproval he had. "Whatever. I shouldn't bother with you," he said with feigned irritation and crouched down, lifting his face to point. "Show me."

"Oh, yes!" Fumbling with the linen, he picked the perfect side to raise the cloth and revealed the articles that lay inside: a various bunch of herbs, and a few leaves, and a loaf of artisan bread sprinkled with sesame seeds. With an exaggerated smile, he exclaimed, "Bread!"

The demon chuckled, "You like bread?"

"Yes! Especially—" Eial threw the loaf upwards and with air magic, sliced a perfect portion, letting the rest fall back into the basket. "And then—," he said using fire magic on the slice until it browned. With his other hand, he reached into a pouch on his side and added round, black berries on top. With gentle fire magic, he hovered his hand over the berries until they popped and liquid oozed out onto the toasted bread's surface. Handing the toasted bread over to the demon, he cheered, "I'm sure this will be to your liking. I even added the berries you liked."

'I'm sure this will be to your liking.' Yet another phrase he was all too familiar with. He took hold of the offering and glanced at the elf, who stared at the demon, waiting for his reaction to his preparation. "You treat me as if I were a prince," the demon smirked, a sort of expectation gleaming in his eyes.

"To me, you are a prince," the elf giggled, "as the books say, my 'prince charming'."

Leaning in, the horned being's voice grew silkier. "And what if—," his eyes narrowed, "—I really was a prince?"

A brief laugh escaped the small being. "Oh, I hope not."

"Oh?" His black brow twitched. "And why's that?"

"Being bonded to a prince would garner too much attention, and I'd rather be hidden." As if to compliment, he added, "The way you are is perfect for me."

"Hmm," grumbled the demon, his smile absent. Well, good thing you won't be with me, then. Absentmindedly, he bit into the slice of toast and searched the basket, looking for a reason to change the subject. "What are those?" he asked, gazing at the herbs.

"Oh, uhm, these are ingredients for a sleep remedy. I remember you saying you hadn't slept well so I thought perhaps I could have a sleep concoction handy. It tastes sweet, too. And easily makes you fall asleep with just one portion. Once, I had taken double the portion. Oh, that was such a bad idea. I fell asleep before I made it to the bed!" He paused his rambling and flickered back and forth from the basket to the demon until finally he bent closer, expectantly. "So... how is it? Is it good? It's good right? I'm sure you like it."

With a defeated sigh, the demon uttered, "yeah yeah, it's good." And to that, the elf's face brightened and he prepared a meal of his own.